Losing?

My son got in trouble today at school, in PE class. All the kids were playing kickball and my son got out. Apparently he threw a big fit! He hates to lose. I have told him over and over it's okay to lose, it's not working! Any advise!

jasesmommy0529

Asked by jasesmommy0529 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• maybe trying showing him how you lose in a game and he might feel better knowing that everyone loses at times, but he also needs to be a good winner as well
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 12:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• thats tough...is he sensitive in all areas or just sports? is his role model ( I assume dad ) a big sports fan that shouts at the tv and goes nuts when they win and ballistic when they lose? that could hav a big factor in your sons actions and reactions if that is what he sees and is exposed to. try talking to him about it, ask him why he gets so upset when he loses...did he get more upset at the fact that he lost, or that he didn't think he should have been out or that maybe getting hit with the ball hurt like a bitch and he flipped out from that? My oldest 7 ALWAYS has a legit. reason for an action or reaction, its just trying to find out what it is tends to be difficult because he doubts himself and thinks poorly about the choice even though in reality it was ingenious, just not the way to go about it. EX. He put hand sanitizer all over the drinking fountain. Why? Because he wanted his classmates to have clean mouths
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 1:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Ya that is tough! Maybe play some board games or outside games (tag, Simon Says, etc) and occasionally win so he loses and help him to learn to control his emotions and learn losing is okay!! Help him to talk about his feelings and that he can use his words to say things like "boy that bums me out that I lost, I will try harder next time."! GL and HTHs!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Other than talking with him, I have no advice.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2010