did demerol or whatever they give you via IV during labor work for you and was the baby born with the drug in them

i would just like some feed back on this ive been getting such great support on here so far:) THANKS

landonsMOMMY500

Asked by landonsMOMMY500 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It can wear off easy or you may stay feeling good for a bit but yes, it goes into the babys blood stream so most babys are a little sleepy when they are born. All the babys get checked and cared for.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:11 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Drugs didn't work for me. they actually caused more harm than anything. The epidural I can still feel pain in my back 6 years after and it numbed me to the point that I couldn't push. Then I developed a seriously high fever and the epidural went to fight the fever and I felt the whole c-sec. I went drug free next baby and it was MUCH shorter labor and honestly, the pain wasn't as bad as some make it out to be. You have to tell yourself"this is temporary". The pain of a c-sec lasts a looong time. Months even.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Actual, C Sections take up to 2 years to heal. I had one and I would again, make sure you are comfortable with the staff around you though.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• yes any drugs you take in labor will effect the baby.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I had a dose of Fentanyl that did NOTHING for me. Any drugs, including those in an epidural, pass to the baby, which can make the baby come out less alert than without meds. It can also make breastfeeding difficult in the beginning, just FYI. If you can avoid meds, I would highly recommend it, but there's no medal to be earned by going med-free either. Do what's best for you. :)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• No the only thing that worked for me was the epidural
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 10:14 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Demerol- mother's allergic so that was out.
    Nubane was what they tried; it made me vomit and didn't touch the pain.
    DD wasn't affected at all since the nubane was late in labor and a half dose at that; I however will never have IV drugs for pain ever again- not a good history with the heavier pain meds overall- so far all any of them do is make me sick to my stomach or pass out for hours on end, neither of which is preferable when having a child lol.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010