My 17month old daughter has difficulty chewing and swallowing her food sometimes she will just let it sit in her mouth until i take it out with my finger my grandson is 7months old and does not do this im wondering if this is in any way related to why she may not be walking yet because this is a motor skill right?

martina01

Asked by martina01 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• And your Dr hasn't had her assessed by any early intervention services. She needs to be. She may just be slower to do things - was she born early? This is some of the stuff my first son did and he had CP. Get her assessed.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 12:18 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If she isnt walking by 18mos she needs to be assessed. She may just be slow but there may also be a problem. I would have her assessed for the eating problum. It does not sound normal. Good luck :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:36 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• all kids do things at different ages....how are her teeth developing? that could be a factor, texture of food could be a factor, the way the ground feels under her feet could be a factor, too small shoes...there are ALOT of factors on why kids do and don't do some things. Talk to your pediatrician anyway, she should be going or have just gone for a dr visit soon anyway....
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 1:02 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• its a very good possiblity that she has motor problems. i would suggest talking to her doctor about your concerns. as far as the eating goes, in the mean time, try smaller bites, or even pureeing her food. also buy an eletric toothbrush (walmart 5 bucks) and use in in her mouth just before meal times. it should wake up and stimulate her mouth, preparing her for eating. good luck!
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 9:17 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would definitely look into getting her occupational and physical therapy.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 12:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2010