is this lying?

I have a friend who has two little girls. One afternoon we were getting ready to go out and her 5 year old got really upset and was crying cause she didnt want mom to leave. Well, long story short, her daughter asked her mom to stay and wrap presents with her, so mom told her that she would go to the store to get supplies and be right back. But she went to the movies with friends instead.
Would you ever lie to your kids to calm them so they didnt have a fit right before you walk out the door?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This is a tough one, but I that is why I usually do not go out. I feel like my son would suffer for me to have a good time. Though he may only cry for like the first five minutes, its hard for me to leave him...
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 12:16 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• not to go out just like said above but if it was a crucial situation and i couldnt bring him or her then i might. havent yet though
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• no, i have promised to bring the girls something back if they were good. but usually they are with my mom, my aunt, or mil, so they dont cry.
    kmjsmommy12345

Answer by kmjsmommy12345 at 12:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Be right back to me means seriously a short amount of time, so no. I wouldn't have said that unless I meant it.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:13 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• yes and no, its white lie. I have done similar as most parents have....sometimes you NEED TO GET OUT without children for a few hours....
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 1:21 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I don't think that's a good thing to do to a little kid at that age. In my opinion this girl is alredy anxious about Mom leaving- so seems to me that she's doing this "I'll stay, help, play...but first just let me do xyz" and then vanishes. I think it's wrong. Once or twice sure- but to a 5yr od that's already anxious? Nope. No way.
    yarngoddess57

Answer by yarngoddess57 at 4:43 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think its ok as long as she also did what she said she was going to do,
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:32 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• A lie is a lie!
    If you start it and when the child gets to the age that she catches on to what MOM"S doing . Trust me- Her turn is coming next.
    MOM nip it in the bud- Sit down and have a talk with your daughter. Explain why your going out, that you will be coming home, and that She is the most important thing in your life. What she wants is reassurance. I use to take a blanket and put my perfume on it and tell my son that if he started to miss me until I get back home to give his blanket a hug and take a deep breath in (to smell the perfume) And tell him that my arms are wrapping around him and that I'd be home soon.
    Not only did it work for us- but, He still wants to have a bottle of my perfume just so he will have me close when he's having a bad day. Nothing is sweeter than a mothers love.
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 9:37 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think it is lying. I mean why lie about something so rediculous and petty!! I think a more appropriate thing to do would be to talk to your kids, prep them that you will be leaving and what is going to happen! Sheesh!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes it's lying. That aweful! How is that child going to trust that woman again? No I would never do that.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2010