what ideas do you have for cold lunches and a picky eater

my son is 6, he is very, very picky and will only eat lunches from home.
He will not eat sandwiches, wraps or rollups, or lunchables
Typically I send a bunch of random stuff in his lunch box and he can pick what he wants...most of the time he brings it all back with an empty juice box. great.
He is not eating and it worries me.
I have gotten him a thermos and the only thing he will eat out of it is ravioli ...well I can't feed that to him every day, can I
it just drives me nuts!
What can I do about lunches and his picky habits?

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 12:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• you could try variations of the ravioli, maybe it will get him to start branching out! use a different type of sauce, or cheese tortellini instead of ravioli. the cheese tortellini is really good cold with italian dressing over it, I usually mix in some (thawed) frozen veggies too

will he eat cereal? you could send cereal and he can get milk for it at the school
    Neelah

Answer by Neelah at 3:39 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Send the ravioli! lol
    If he is 6 he might just not like eating away from home and family yet so send what he will eat.
    And ask the teacher if he is doing good with friends and make sure he doesn't have a bully, just in case.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:19 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• and he'll most likely get tired of ravioli and will want to try different things so just id say keep up the ravioli for a little bit and pack fruits and veggies and a nice note, if he can read
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes, feed him the raviolis everyday cuz at least you know he's eating them and they have some nutritional value, right?
    .
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 12:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I do volunteer and he is very well liked so there is no issues with bullies..
    I have thought though I would be a bad mom for sending ravioli every day but yeah he would get tired of it fast if I did send it every day!
    I am just at a loss...now my son tells me I can pack him brownies or cookies, lol And I tell him no that won't work...he needs something better then that
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I'm thinking that if you give him a list of options then he will pick one of them. If he doesn't, then just pick one and send it. My daughter is the only picky one out of my 3, but I just tell her that she can eat what we have, or she can choose to wait til the next meal, no treats. It's not bad food, and it's not that she doesn't like it, it's that she wants only what she wants. You can ask him what things he prefers to eat other than ravioli. Ravioli and sweets can NOT be on the menu til he starts to pick other things. It's not mean, it's teaching him to have a well-rounded diet. He WILL eat when he gets hungry, kids won't starve themselves. It will feel like you are being mean to him, but being mean to him would be feeding him processed foods with little nutritional value all the time. My DD is 6 and she is knows she has to have a healthy diet, she just doesn't always prefer to lol. Good luck!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:57 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I appreciate the advice but if I did things the way you say you do them then he would have nothing in his lunch box and he would just sit there at lunch time and wait until recess.

when parents say that kids won't starve....mine will...he would rather starve then eat what he does not fell he likes to eat....he was underweight for a few years because he is stubborn
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• hey, I am a hardass LOL....in my house its eat this...or get nothing....its how my whole family is and as adults we eat a large variety of things.....the only one i bend on is the baby bc he needs the nutrients to grow.....my advice....chef borardee has the serving of veggies in ever can....and get the juice with veggies in it....v8 v-fusion is 100% juice, fruit and veggie.....apple and eve makes one now in juice boxes, my son loves the orange/tangerine one, wasn't crazy about the apple carrot one....as long as he is eating something be happy....maybe make your own ravioli...they have ones with spinach in them and you can't even taste it.....or try tortellini with meat in it....variety of the thing he likes....
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 1:18 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My 4 year old is picky too and for awhile she only liked ramen noodles that her dad made her. I worried for awhile and then was reading some magazine or something and they were cutting sandwiches with cookie cutters in shapes. I tried it and my daughter liked it. I can get her to eat any sandwich as long as it doesn't have mustard on it by cutting it with a different cookie cutter. We started out with just holiday ones and now we have over 100. It sounds stupid but I let her pick the shape she wants. It is a game to her but it gets her to eat something new that is good for her :)
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 1:19 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• justduckie_mom, I like using the cookie cutter trick :) For a while my DD didn't want peanut butter sandwiches made at home, she only wanted the Uncrustables. But I prefer giving her the organic jellies and low sugar peanut butter, so I bought this awesome thing from pampered chef for $9, it cuts the sandwiches and seals them, and they look just like the uncrustables lol. She didn't know the difference for a while, and now she only wants her pb sandwiches cut with it lol. Another option might be if he likes any cold cereals, buy him some of the organic, lower sugar brands that he will eat and let him take a bowl of cereal with a little container of milk and some fruit. My kids love the Cascadian Farms version of Cinnamon toast crunch, and they like the granola with blueberries from Kashi, and the cinnamon shredded wheat and Strawberry Fields from Kashi also. Try doing like the previous post said too, make your own ravioli CONT
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:41 AM on Oct. 26, 2010