Probation hearing? what happens??

Here's the situation....I have an 18 yr old that is on 7 yrs probation....due to losing his job he got 2 months behind in his fines...he has been sent a letter stating a date and time he is to report to a probation hearing...he has the money now to pay these fines but is scared to death they are going to put him in jail when he shows up. Has anyone experienced a probation hearing to know what he might or might not expect to happen? I feel all they are concerned with is his willingness to show up and his money but he is still scared he is going to go to jail when he gets there. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• well if he doesn't go he might get a warrent for his arrest...as for if they put him in jail, i'm not really sure....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• i had one... if he doesnt go they will issue a warrent and probably pick him up that day or the next day and put him in jail for failure to show... all he needs to cash, when he gets in front of the judge he needs to tell the judge why he didnt make payments and tell the judge he has money to make payments starting NOW!

my judge must have loved me cause there was like 10 people before me who all got sentenced.... and i was the first one he would except a payment from and i didnt even have money with me...

just make sure he has a good reason for why he wasnt making payments!!! good luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• He's not considered a probation violator...they would have came and got him flat out or called him and told him to turn himself in. He can tell the judge flat out he can pay the fines off right now and he will probably get a slap on the wrist.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 2:25 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Thank you for your replies....we'll find out this afternoon. Pray please that all goes well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Well, what happened? Did they just take the money or put him in jail? I am curious to know, I have son on probation as well. 5 months to go.
    njt320

Answer by njt320 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I'm sorry....I didn't think to come back. Everything went well....he got a stern talking to, paid his fines to get caught up to date...got instructions to report for community service and has to go back in a month like normal. I am so thankful to God that this went well....I really didn't feel like they would put him in jail since he could pay but had they done that, I would have felt like I pushed him to it even though I would feel that was much better than not showing at all. I still feel like when it comes down to it, they just want the money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I think there are millions of teenage boys that get in trouble for stuff. They can't possibly have enough room in the jails. They don't let them slide for anything today, like the used to when I was young!
    njt320

Answer by njt320 at 8:18 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• While I was waiting on him to come out, there were young people in and out paying their fines like an assembly line almost. There's no way they can fully monitor if these people are doing what they're supposed to doing...just making an appearance to prove they've not skipped town and paying their fines. I'll add...this boy is not my son, just a kid from church that I would without a doubt adopt if you could adopt 18 yr olds....he has been dealt a lousy hand in life and just needed someone to show they cared....that's what we're trying our best to do and steer him in the right direction.
    Anonymous