Why does my baby cry and then scream so much?

She's THree months old and sometime I can put her iin her excesaucer,bouncy seat, or even lay her down but not more than 10 to 20 min and shes starts to cry which turns into screaming.I keep her upright for 30 min after eating and the pedi told me to put a tblspoon of cereal (rice) in her bottle but shes still upset almost all the time

scordova

Asked by scordova at 12:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, the cereal could be doing it..giving babies cereal that young isn't good for their digestive system, so it could be giving her a stomach ache. has she been doing this since birth? if so, then it could be colic. if not, go get some teething drops or tablets, it could be teething. if you're breastfeeding, it could be that she's not getting enough to fill her up for a while and may need to eat again.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• oh if it's gas, burp her more often. instead of every couple of oz, do it after every oz. (if bottle fed) another way: put her on her back and push her knees up kind of pushing on her belly. that's what we do/did with our kids and it worked like a charm. or you can get gas drops. gas drops are a gift from God! those things work wonders!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:34 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• good grief. They don't even have a good digestive system yet, so the cereal could definately be making it worse.
    Otherwise, There is something called Gentle Naturals Tummy Soother you can try. It has chamomile, and works to relax baby/help with gas. Helps with colic also. My niece had colic, I bought this for her, and it turned out to be my brother's and SIL's lifesaver.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 12:35 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Oh, I meant to say, you can buy those drops at Target, Meijer, and probably walmart. It has Winnie the Pooh on a Green bottle, and it's all natural.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 12:36 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• the baby is either testing her boundries with you to see how often you will respond, or like the armywife stated she is getting a upset stomach, infants are so prone to digestive problems and you will learn soon what each cry means, either for attention or real pain. unfortunately kids are not born with a manuel and most of learning is trial and error. hang in there and you will soon see what the trouble is...good luck
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Answered at 11:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 by: mrseum
    Oh, I meant to say, you can buy those drops at Target, Meijer, and probably walmart. It has Winnie the Pooh on a Green bottle, and it's all natural.

sounds like the teething drops i use! all natural and it has Winnie the Pooh on the bottle. totally recommend that if you decide to get it. works wonders!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• She's too young to be "testing you", they don't develop that kind of comprehension until 6 months of age or more.

Babies have a short attention span, and sometimes 10-20 minutes of anything, especially without you, is enough. My son was the same way.

They gradually learn to focus longer on activities, and less on you. Don't rush it, she's perfectly normal. One day you'll miss the time she wanted to be with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My baby had colic really bad. I did a homeopathic "hylands" colic tablets wich work wonders. Definitly recommended. You dont want to stress their undeveloped digestive systems by introducing food quite yet, especially if you are having difficulties now. Worth a try.
    llayla

Answer by llayla at 4:20 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• the baby is either testing her boundries with you to see how often you will respond...

WHAT THE HELL???  Three month old babies DO NOT "test boundaries."  They are incapable of being manipulative.  This is the most blatantly ignorant thing I have ever heard.  Babies cry because they are expressing some sort of need.  She's most likely hungry or uncomfortable.  Its also possible that she's going through a growth spurt and needs to eat more.  DO NOT put cereal in a bottle.  Your pediatrician is out of touch with what is considered acceptable these days.  A three month old's digestive system is not ready for solids, and that will only make your baby's tummy ache worse. 

Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 10:09 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• If you suspect it's gas (she's kicking her legs, or drawing them up to her body while crying) try laying her on her back and gently smushing her knees into her tummy, one at a time and then together. Do this for several minutes and it usually helps babies to pass gas. It worked wonders for my son. Good luck mama!
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 10:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2008