Can a father sign rights away just like that?

If and when I decide to try to get child support for my son can his bio dad just ask to sign his rights away without any problems? Other thing is that I didn't know my son was not my dh's at the time of birth till just several months ago we found out. My dh name is on birth cert did i screw myself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• I know he can sign his rights away but I don't know how complicated the process is. But the birth certificate will be changed with the results of a paternity test.
    airmanswife1006

Answer by airmanswife1006 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Thanks for the info. You know alot of people have told me that because my dh name is on birth certificate even with a dna test proving he is not the father that the bio dad does not have to pay child support.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• it will make the process more longer but like arimanswife said, with dna it can be changed
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• So lets say me and dh do get divorced..it's a possablitiy and i want to make the bio dad pay child support and he tells me no he wants to sign his rights away my dh will be stuck having to pay for a child that is not his?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• You have to get a legally admissible DNA test (if you just did a home test before) -- your husbands name will have to be removed from the birth certificate. (He will likely have to be willing to sign off on his paternity, depending on state laws) You'll have to go through the courts. This will open the bio-dad up for visitation rights if you pursue it. The father on the birth certificate is the one liable for child support in most states. I've done the reverse and had a bio-father removed to have my DH put *ON* the birth certificate.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:00 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• wow thanks gosh i totally screwed everything up then. dh will hate me even more now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Sounds like a pretty awkward situation :( I would find an attorney that gives a free consultation and specializes in family law. Meet with them in private and ask your questions. Find out what the laws are for your state.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• If you have a hubby, why do you need to collect child support anyway? Is your hubby living in the home and raising the child as his? Then he should be supporting it.

Legally, no matter who fathered the child, the husband's name goes on the certificate. This is one of the reason's why.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• To the above poster, the latter statement is not true at all...
    scratch_n_sniff

Answer by scratch_n_sniff at 6:35 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I know in some states that if you are married even if you and he both know the baby is not his. Your husband will be put on the birth cert and he will be finacilaly reponsible even if you get divorced and No fathers can't just sign their right away beacuse they don't want to pay child support if they allows that then most men would just to get out of paying
    Anonymous