toddler sleep question

ok so my son will be 20 months old on nov.4th. in the last few weks he has began staying up till midnight or so bouncing in his crib and gabbing. i put him to be at 8:30pm every night . and then he is up again round 3 am bouncing and gabbing. he whines off and on but not like he is crying. i know he isnt hurt,or needing a diaper or anything. i know if i go in there it gets him trying to get me to come in there all the time. im not sure what i should do about thing if there is anything i can do about it even. anyone else go through this?

tylersmommy54

Asked by tylersmommy54 at 1:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes my son does the same thing thats why some nights if he seems to be more awake then others i put him down at a much later time, and that helps him sleep through the night!
    Kat438

Answer by Kat438 at 1:35 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• see i have tried that then he tries sleeping till like 1 pm and is extremely angry if woken up before and then is cranky all day.
    tylersmommy54

Comment by tylersmommy54 (original poster) at 1:38 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• oxymoron.. "toddler sleep" lol thats funnnny
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• literally as I was submitting that one of my 1 year old's woke up XD
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:41 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't go to him if he didn't need anything...You have to stay consistant..If he is just playing let him play..If you run to every noise he makes he will continue to do that..As long as you know he is fine and is just playing let him be..Eventually he will see that is not working for him and he will be taught what the bed is for...Good luck I have raised 5 and trust me consistancy is your answer!!
    carterclan02

Answer by carterclan02 at 1:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• as long as he doesnt need anything and he is ok, i would let him play in his crib until get got tired and went to sleep on his on. if you go to him he is going to to make noises to get mommy's attention.
    kmjsmommy12345

Answer by kmjsmommy12345 at 2:05 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My son does this occasionally. If he's not seriously crying, don't go in. The whining usually stops in a couple of minutes and the gabbing is him just amusing himself. Also, try to make him sleepier before bedtime with a bath or some warm milk. These work for my guy. Good Luck!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• As long as he is fine and his needs are all met, let him be! He will soothe himself back to sleep! All 3 of my kiddsod this!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Have you tried a warm bath with the sleepy time Johnson & Johnson and after bath time the sleepy time lotion and reading a book?
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Teething maybe? I'm sure it's just a phase.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 7:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2010