Hospital Induced Emergencies?

Do you think that sometimes the interventions that are used in hospital births can lead to the very emergency they are trying to prevent?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 1:35 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• YES!!!! One intervention leads to another. It makes me crazy to watch one unnecessary intervention start a cascade. That's part of why I ask every mom on here that's being induced before 42 weeks WHY. There are definitely times these interventions are necessary, don't get me wrong, but man, are they ever over-used!
    I'm watching a friend of mine (a single mom) who had every intervention under the sun recover from a c-section incision that has opened TWICE since she had her son. I attended her birth, and this doctor has NO idea what she's doing. Of course, my friend thinks this doctor is God, and I swear, my tongue is bleeding from biting it so hard. I don't want to be the "I told you so" friend, but this doctor is awful.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I had two successful inductions, and I had two just fine on their own. I had my reasons for induction. So in answer I think it can, but not always. Just like, some experiences are bad,some aren't you will hear all types.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• most likely but it may not always
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 1:59 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Meagan, note the "sometimes" in the original question. By no means are interventions ALWAYS bad. But sometimes they cause more problems than they fix.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• YES!!!!! My 34 week appointment my doctor sent me to the hospital to get started on being induced because my blood pressure was 198/110 which is unsafe for both myself and the baby. They said no and just kept me for 24 hours and monitored me (the lowest my blood pressure was while I was in the hospital was 182/97) and then sent me home. Eight days later I had placenta abruption and I almost bled to death and need 3 blood transfusions while my son came out not breathing bc he was losing oxygen. If they would have induced me when my doctor wanted them to none of that would have happened.
    DeegansMomma08

Answer by DeegansMomma08 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010