toddlers tossing food off their highchairs

wow talk about frustrating. I'm having a hard time with this one.. is there any hope?

Tyler is usually the one tossing his food every where. he is a PICKY eater. if he doesn't want to eat it he'll throw it on the floor. the funny thing is the other day at the store i told him dont throw it on the floor if you dont want it, put it in here (the cup holder) and i took it from his hand and put it there and he did it all day after that! I was like WOW youre adorable.
HOWEVER. at meal times its a battle to keep the food off the floor. and we're poor so, lol, its not fun to toss the food away or the let the dog get it.

i tried telling him he's all done and taking him out of the chair but I don't want him to think that if he doesn't want to eat his veggies he can get out of it by tossing food

so should i just put up with it, and ignore it or idk. what have you guys tried!?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:37 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would keep remindin him that if he did not want his food to put it here (cup holder, empty bowl). then the next time he went to eat (next meal or snack time) i would give him the food the food that he put in the bowl.
    kmjsmommy12345

Answer by kmjsmommy12345 at 1:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• my daughter does the same thing! first the spoon goes, then the bowl or plate, and the dog is right there to get it :)
    The only thing that has sort of worked is when she goes to throw it, I take it away from her. She gets mad because she didn't get to do what she wanted, but then when I hand her the dishes back she (usually) settles down and goes back to eating.
    Neelah

Answer by Neelah at 3:32 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Since telling him to keep it in his cupholder worked, try to remind him to do the same thing at mealtimes. and if this does not work.. make him accountable for cleaning the food up off the floor. That is what I did with my daughter.. eventually he will see its not so much fun having to pick it up, with should slowly stop
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 9:14 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I just sternly say "NO NO" and if I catch her gettin ready to do it again, I continue the "NO NO" thing
    BShip2010

Answer by BShip2010 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• This is going to sound really mean, but it worked. Both my girls were petrified of the vacuum so I waited til everyone was done eating and I would vacuum the food while they sat in the seat. It only took a couple times and by 2 neither of them were intentionally throwing food off the table.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• my toddler throw her food on the floor and she cries and she wont eat witha spoon or a fork you have to put her food on the high chair tables and she throws it on the floor i dont think she is getting enought calories she eats not a lot so i don't know what to do
    dolphinlover325

Answer by dolphinlover325 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2010