What would you do if your doctor kept bringing up our ethnicity just about every single doctor's visit?

She's not offensive about it, but whenever I take my youngest dd (4 months) to the doctor all she talks about is my ethnicity and whether or not I can cook chinese food or wonders if I've ever been BACK to Japan. Even though I've never been there in the first place. I just find it very irrelevant to the health of my child and very invasive. I realize to some people it might just be small talk, but it isn't just small talk if it's brought up every damn time.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 1:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• New doc time! That's annoying. It'd be different if she was talking about health issues related to race (some diseases have a higher incidence in certain races), but that sounds weird.
    You should start bowing every time you see her, and wear chop sticks in your hair! LOL Offer her some rice.
    Geez.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:50 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• if you are uncomfortable with it, then let her know that you would rather focus on the health of your child, than to discuss personal things. or if you are really uncomfortable, switch to a different doctor.
    kmjsmommy12345

Answer by kmjsmommy12345 at 1:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• id let her no right away or if your uncomfortable with that just switch to a new doc all together
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 2:02 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think you need to switch doctors, that's really uncomfortable!
    Chloeek86

Answer by Chloeek86 at 2:02 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If it's not regarding your health... then maybe racism?
    Maybe she is trying to look cool by openly talking about it.
    But if she were TRULY cool with it it SHOULD be irrelevant.

Besides the way she speaks about it sounds like she is "confused."
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Perhaps she is just fascinated by the culture and she's assumed you are from Japan. Either way its rude and borderline racist. I'd probably say something. At least to let her know you are not from Japan. If your not comfortable with confronting her then perhaps its best to change doctors.

My DH's doctor always confronts him about our religion. The guy is Protestant and knows we are Pagan so every time DH goes in to see him he tries to convert DH. It doesn't bother my hubby though. DH likes religious debates. lol
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Perhaps she is interested in your culture...a bit insensitive if not unprofessional...but hardly racist.
    If you like her, ask her why all the questions. Every time...how often do you see her? I mean a few times a year, is not all that often compared to the amount of patients she sees. I would be flattered that she is interested, and have no problem making small talk with her. I think different cultures are facinating myself. My DD is dating a Mexican boy and I have so much fun talking "Spanglish" with him, we laugh all the time. I wouldn't take it to personally. If you are this bent out of shape perhaps a new doc is in order.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:16 AM on Oct. 26, 2010