Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any suggestions for a degenerative disc?

I recently went to my primary doctor for pain, tension, and knots in my shoulders and neck. He took some xrays and showed me I have a degenerative disc in my neck. The space between the 2 vertebrae is about half that of the space between the others. He said it leaks fluid sometimes, which the blood cells then attack as if it was a foreign body. This causes the muscles to tense up and become sore when the cells are attacking the fluid. He said it can last 2-3 weeks or more each time it's releasing the fluid. And because it's releasing close to my nerve, I have tingling in my back sometimes. But then he said there is nothing to be done for it, and the only medicines that will help it are extremely strong narcotics so his advice to me was to take motrin and wait it out. Any other advice that might be a little more helpful, from someone who has experience with it? I can't see another dr, it's the military clinic lol.


Asked by AprilDJC at 1:53 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Health

Level 20 (8,524 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • Request a consult to a specialist who deals with DDD. There's no reason for you to have to let it get worse and only take motrin for pain because the military doctors don't like to treat pain adequately except with Motrin. Trust me, if you have Tricare, you can get seen out on town if need be. Don't settle for minimal treatment with what you have going on. There may not be specialists on base, but Tricare will point you in the direction of a doctor who will treat you properly. That's my suggestion. I dealt with military doctors for 12 years while on active duty and now I am seen at a civilian clinic.

    Answer by Izsarejman at 2:21 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • I wlil look into that. i was told I have to have a referral from either Tricare or the clinic to see someone off base or I will pay the full bill. It has happened before, when I took DD to an urgent care off base without a referral and I got the bill Tricare refused to pay. I will try to call tricare tomorrow and tell them that I really don't feel my doctor is treating this properly and see what they will let me do. I know the dr will not put me in a referral, he doesn't see any need for treatment.

    Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 2:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2010