I just want to make sure that I am not the only one that thinks that this is insane...

I went to my FIL's house today. When I got in the door, my BIL (who is 11) was sitting on the couch playing on his xbox (which is pretty much normal) and his mother is sitting next to him... doing HIS homework. I was in shock. I will admit that it gave me the chance to talk to my husband about when our daughter goes to school and let him know that this will NEVER happen with her. I can understand helping your child with homework but this is was insane. She was doing it for him. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of sending your kids to school? It was even weirder when his mother was doing his history word search and I was asking him about it he said that he didn't like word searches. I would have given anything to get a word search for homework. lol. Is is just me or is this completely off the wall?

justduckie_mom

Asked by justduckie_mom at 2:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• OMG!!! That's CRAZY! But is happens all the time. It makes me sick. Then parents don't get it when their kids are failing exams. Teachers can tell when parents do the homework (MIL was a teacher, and I have friends who are teachers, and they talk about it all the time). It's really sad that she is teaching him that this is okay. I'm glad DH and I agree that we will NEVER do his homework for DS.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:37 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Your MIL doesn't deserve the role of 'Mum' because a mum should be nurturing and supportive but she is just taking the proverbial.
    Creating78

Answer by Creating78 at 3:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yeah, that's insane. No parent should ever do their child's homework. I will help my children if needed, and check their work, but that is it. They need to learn things on their own, and learn to be independent.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• She is doing him a dis-service for sure.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• completly off the wall! I hated my own homework while I was in school, I wont be doing my son's thats for sure! I can understand if they were both working on it together, xbox off.. but if she was just doing it? whats the point in him even going to school?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:37 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• That is ridiculous! The kid can't even manage to do a freaking word search? What are they going to do, move into his dorm with him when he goes to college? I rarely even got help with my homework when I was in school (my grandparents raised and adopted me, and both of them had to drop out of high school to support their family's, so they were lost with a lot of stuff that they had forgotten). There is no way that I would EVER do my child's homework! How are they going to learn anything if the parents do everything for them?
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:41 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• wow, she takes 'helping' to a whole new level. i would not do my child's homework for her, if i did what would she be be learning? and how would she be able to pass her tests?
    kmjsmommy12345

Answer by kmjsmommy12345 at 3:07 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Wow.....just wow. Is she gonna fill out his job applications when hes older so he can work.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:36 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• wow that is just not right, and will certainly hinder the child in the long run. How is he learning if mommy does all the work? The only 'real' grades he would get would be on tests/quizes and eventually the teacher is going to notice the difference in his work. (like passing the homework but failing on tests/quizes with same material). By then he will be stuck in the habit of mommy doing for him that he will not want to change and it will be a battle to get him to do his own work and learn on his own.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:10 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• no that is INSANE... my house it is homework, and small chores (feed the dog and fish) they are seven and half the time they dont get to play the electronics untill the weekend!!!

shame on her for doing his homework for him!
    MOMMY2TWINBOYS4

Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2010