Who should take fault, if anyone?

I have a very Dear friend who has had two pregnancies in the past 5 yrs. The first pregnancy went fine up until the 5th month in which my friend started experiencing labor pains...she delivered a very small baby boy that died three days later....my friend who grieved for this child (and still does) became pregnant again about a year or so later in which she went into labor in the later part of the fourth month...the hospital allowed her to hold this child until it passed away in her arms.......of course at this point she knew she could never put herself through this trauma or let alone watch another child die....my friend needed answers as to why this even happened, she thought the first pregnancy wasn't meant to be.....but the second too? So the Dr told her she had an incompetent uterus......her cervix wasn't strong enough to go full term.....but...the cervix should have been sewn shut until time to deliver (MORE)

tracylyn245

Asked by tracylyn245 at 3:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• a full term baby I wonder if the hospital or Dr can be sued.......Why did her Dr not tell her this during the first pregnancy. ? She would have been able to stop the second pregnancy from turning out the same...it is so sad this happened.. What at this point can be done...if anything?
    tracylyn245

Comment by tracylyn245 (original poster) at 3:20 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Poor thing! I can't imagine the heart break your friend has gone through.
    Even a stitch in the cervix and strict bed rest can't always prevent these things. It may or may not have worked, but I agree they should have caught that. That said, it's easy to miss that until a woman goes into preterm labor, which can't always be stopped.
    There's a really good chance at this point that she won't be able to carry a pregnancy to term. Has she made any birth control decisions since all this happened? Just as a precaution, so she doesn't have to go through the heart break again.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I feel so bad for your friend :( Some women who have had preterm labor get put on progesterone shots and if their cervix is weak then sometimes a cerclage is done. As far as suing the hospital or doctor I would speak to a lawyer about it.

ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 4:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• bump
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:25 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I can't answer this question. But it is sad and I am praying for your friend.
    amandagrass

Answer by amandagrass at 4:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Thanks so much. (ALL) My friend will never try and conceive another child...this has been much to hard on her
    tracylyn245

Comment by tracylyn245 (original poster) at 4:59 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I bet. I just can't imagine. It broke my heart to read your post.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:59 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• oh that's so sad, and yes the cervix should of or could have been stitched shut
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 10:07 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Im sorry to hear her loss. I know how I felt when I had a miscarage. I was 3 mon.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2010