When do you start putting ceral in a baby's bottle and when do you introduce them to baby foods or soft table foods?

My baby is almost four months old and i havent given her any foods besides formula. Is that bad when do i start her of baby cereal, foods or soft table foods? i just assume to wait till she gets at least a couple of teeth id=s that wrong?

lovemybaby72

Asked by lovemybaby72 at 3:38 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't start until 6 months (that's the latest AAP recommendation). Wait until she loses the tongue thrust reflex. If she pushes food out of her mouth with her tongue, wait longer. It's a choking hazard if she still has that reflex. Plus, her stomach lining is open, meaning stuff can get through, which increases her risk of developing allergies.
    NEVER put cereal in her bottle. Again, it's a choking hazard, and it will not help her sleep better or keep her full longer. Any doctor that recommends it should be reported.
    Once you start solids, you can introduce a new food every 3 or so days (long enough to ensure she hasn't had a reaction to the last new food). When you start, get the pureed foods. She won't be ready for soft table foods for a bit. She'll be able to gum them, but wait until she's gotten used to pureed stuff first.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:42 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You never put cereal in their bottle!
    You SHOULD introduce baby foods at 6 months.
    They are completely fine with just breast milk or formula until then.
    You can mix cereal and formula in a bowl and spoon feed it. But never in a bottle!
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 3:43 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 3:45 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Cereal in the bottle-when just the bottle isn't filling them up completely
    baby cereal-I believe they're telling parents now 6 months (my daughter started at 4 months but that was 3 years ago)

baby food-6 months (start with banana it's the mildest but then most people say do the veggies first because they won't like it and it gets them used to it. Also, you should wait a couple of days before you try another veg or fruit to make sure theres not an allergic reaction. Once you've tried all the fruits and vegs then you can move up to stage 2 which is when they mix them)

soft foods-I want to think around 8 or 9 months (don't remember that honestly) it's when you know they can chew and swallow food.
    Gerber has really good snacks that dissolve in their mouths if you're looking for a snack.

hope that was helpful!!
    baboluchi56

Answer by baboluchi56 at 3:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• oh yea I forgot to mention...the cereal in the bottle most people will warn against.
    baboluchi56

Answer by baboluchi56 at 3:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• i would go with what your child's dr recomends (sp). i started mine one baby food at 5 1/2 months, but got the dr's ok first.
    kmjsmommy12345

Answer by kmjsmommy12345 at 3:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• when my grand daughter was about 6 months old we gave her a smoked sausage. Yes we watched her VERY closely. She loved it.
    GroovyHippie

Answer by GroovyHippie at 3:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• just wonedering Ive always heard put cereal in their bottles but why are they warning against it now? I'm not going to put it in there since you guys say its wrong but i dont understand the full reaon behind that. im sorry if i sound stupid
    lovemybaby72

Comment by lovemybaby72 (original poster) at 3:56 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You don't sound stupid. :) It's a choking hazard. They're not used to the mixture of textures, and sucking down something like that can make it get stuck in their throat or get aspirated into their lungs. It's not worth the risks.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:02 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• – collapse

I put cereal in my DD bottle at 1 1/2 month old i had her eating cereal off the spoon at 4 months old. You will get all the mommas that say no it's dangerous and you will get mommas saying ya go for it. You as the mother of your DD you know what is best for your child you can get everyone else's opinion do what you think is best not what everyone else saids what is what.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:07 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 (hidden) + expand