I'm looking for something natural

Wanting to change our eating habits. Looking for some meal ideas that are home grown. No processed, can, or packaged foods. Need to get away from the preservitives and dyes, etc.... have some receipes you're willing to share to help us get well? I'm 284lb and only 4'11 1/2. We don't eat breads or deserts or have snacks of any kind in the house. All meals are pre-mail by Dietitains, packaged and sent in the mail. But its still has the starch, and meats. etc... Can you help? Have some easy to do things to make?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 6:42 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Good for you for wanting to change your eating habits, you should feel proud of yourself. I wouldn't totally give up on starches because your body still needs them for energy, you have to make sure that your eating the right kinds of starches, such as brown rcie, and breads made with whole grains, or 100% whole wheat. I've even replaced white pasta with this brand called Ronzoni because it's white pasta with fiber and calcium and you can't tell the difference.

When I want to eat something light, I sometimes make pepper chicken. I saute' boneless, skinless chicken breast strips with a bit of canola or olive oil, sliced green peppers, and onions. I season the chicken with salt and pepper before I cook the meat and my family loves it. It's something simple and healthy. Good luck to you.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 7:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Stir fry's made with a lot of veggies and lean meat, salads of all types, green, fruit etc. Just watch the dressing you put on them or leave it out all together on the fruit salad, make a raw veggie platter to go with dinner, buy a pizza crust that is whole wheat and top with light cheese and lots of veggies, veggie wraps, fajitas made with lean chicken, onions, green peppers and tomatoes, greek yogurt as a snack, almonds are also excellent for snacks and in cooking (they have a lot of nutrition in them) try a cucumber and tomato salad with a light dressing on it (vinegar based) vegetarian chili, and drink lots of green teas and water
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Not packaged like no pasta or frozen vegetables?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 8:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I used to weigh 260lb. I lost 100 pounds in a year eating a lot of raw vegetable options, like big salads containing dark green leafy vegetables like romaine lettuce and spinach, sweet peppers (good for B vitamins and zinc) mushrooms, shredded carrots and a variety of sprouts (I love me some broccoli sprouts) with homemade dressing made from avocado and lemon juice (good fats!) and lean protein options like skinless chicken or turkey and tuna fish canned in water. The nice thing about a big salad is that you can eat a LOT of it and it just does your body good. Also, make sure you're getting 100oz of water a day (unless you have a medical condition that limits your water intake like congestive heart failure). I don't know what your exercise limitations might be, but those little trampolines are easy on the joints and light hand weights can be used for upper-body exercise if you have trouble with your knees or hips.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Congratulations on choosing the road to good health for you and your family!
    Start with simple changes. Drink water! 8 8oz glasses a day will help cleanse your body, help your body recognize the difference between hunger and thirst, and give you more energy.
    Get moving! Start by walking for twenty minutes a day.
    Eat your fruits and vegetables! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors.
    Replace simple/white grains with whole grains: whole grain bread, brown rice, quinoa, etc. Eat five servings a day.
    Add legumes to your diet (beans, lentils, etc.).
    Cut way back on, or eliminate, meat and dairy.

I have a ton of recipes, that are simple, healthy, family and budget friendly. Send me a message if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2010