Effacement and Dialation

My doctor told me that I haven't dialate yet (at least not to a full 1cm) and that I'm 50% effaced. She says that my cervix isn't really soft and that I'm still sitting back aways. She is supposed to be scheduling an induction for this Saturday, Nov. 1st, although she says that an induction may not work. If the induction doesn't work will I have to have a C-section? And how safe is it for us to try an induction with my circumstances?

DellaF88

Asked by DellaF88 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• yes, if the induction doesn't work, your only option is to have a c-section.

I'd really recommend walking as much as you can between now and nov 1st. the gravity will help baby's head dilate and efface your cervix more before then.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:55 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• oh i wouldn't worry about it. my gf just went in today for and induction. the baby wasn't dropped, she wasn't even effaced, and finally made it to 3cm after they induced her. she progressed really well and had her little girl this afternoon. they did warn her she might have needed a c-section, since her baby wasn't dropped at first, but she didn't.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• She could of course always help your cervix thin with medication they put up there,
    and sometimes even that can help you dilate,
    Im sure they will do that, and wait for a little bit, and of course, if you even dilate to a 3-4 they will breake your water and start you on the petocin, the induction medication,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 1:28 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Depends on the circumstances... C-section isn't your only option --- if they do NOT break your water, and your baby is in no distress -- they can send you home and attempt induction again another day. Did you ask your doctor what his/her intention is? My doctor will not attempt an induction unless my "score" is a 5? To lower the chance of failure. They rate the cervix effacement, dilation, etc.. I've been induced twice (once for each child). Good luck I hope it works out for you!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• why do you need your cervix to be dialated now? are longer than 42 weeks along? A baby born between 38-42 weeks is a healthy baby. I would not go for induction and definitely NOT do a C-section. If it is really an issue, use a natural induction - Castor Oil. It tastes gross, but WILL send you into labor if your baby is ready to be born.
    CNLueck

Answer by CNLueck at 2:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• that was my problem but my doctor did a manual dialation two days before i was induced. ( It was more painful than the c-section) anyway i ended up having to have a c-sec anyway because her heartrate dropped dramaticly everytime i had a contraction.
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 2:32 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Why do you need to be induced? Is there a medical reason for it? Try walking, sex, spicy foods, and all those 'natural' things if you really need to be induced. Be ready for a c-section, though...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• look up info on castor oil or ask your dr. first - it might just give you bad cramps and put you on the toilet instead of kick starting labor. It could also affect your baby as well.
    theroxy

Answer by theroxy at 9:09 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Not sure why you NEED to be induced, but hopefully it won't get down to a C Section.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2008