Thoughts or personal experiences to share regarding this recent article? How angry does that make you if you were one who could not find a job?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/careers/did-millions-reject-jobs-and-stay-on-unemployment/19686576/?icid=main%7Cmain%7Cdl10%7Csec3_lnk2%7C180015

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 8:05 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I read this as well and it does not make sense to me. What about job growth, getting ahead, building a career- people are losing out on that aspect of employment. I think trying to paint unemployment as a choice or a good thing diminishes those that want to work and are truly being hurt by this recession.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think that's completely idiotic. The payments from unemployment are absolutely paltry and most of the time, only replace a fraction of your income. My mom has been unemployed since March and she gets about $200 per week, down from making almost 50K per year.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• jewjewbee

Comment by jewjewbee (original poster) at 8:05 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I DO know several people who have done this. The thought being if the salary offered is not enough of a bump from unemployment what's the point. I've personally gotten friends several jobs and had them turn down. I really should say, ex friends, after the third time I was kind of sick to my stomach.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I understand why the immediate reaction would be to say "that's ridiculous...why would you TURN DOWN A JOB for unemployment?" BUT...DH did it more than once when he was unemployed in 2007. He spent several hours each day looking for a job that would pay enough to where I could continue to stay at home and if he had a job, he would not have been able to do that. I believe he turned down 3 full-time salaried positions before he found the perfect one.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2010