my 2 year old son dose not talk well yet should I be worried

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son just turned two and his vocabulary is very limited. My doctor said that we are probably not listening close enough to them. He said that the word doesn't have to be clear to count it as a word, as long as there is a sound that is associated with the same thing everytime.

I wouldn't be worried. :D I know it is hard, hell, I can barely follow my own advice, but I also heard that a lot of boys take a longer time to talk.

If you are too worried, a lot of states have programs that are free to tutor your child. You can have him evaluated, however I would try to wait until he is closer to three.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 2:05 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• my son is 2 1/2, he still don't say a whole lot of words, his doctor said its ok, he'll talk when hes ready, all ya have to do is be patient.
    carolyn.ruelle

Answer by carolyn.ruelle at 9:16 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My son is 26 mos and he wasn't talking all that much when he was like 18 mos , so I had him evaluated by Early Intervention. He was ahead in everything except for speech. So he is now in the program for his speech. Someone just comes to the house once a week and we go to a parent child playgroup once a week. It really does seem to help. The other kids in his playgroup are the same. If anything it is great to have him in a social setting w/other kids. I just tell him to use his words all the time. Also, I have him do signs too, cuts out some of the frustration for you and the child. I know he will talk when he is ready, just wanted to do what was best for him.
    AprilVas

Answer by AprilVas at 3:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2008