Do you ever...?

Call out of work and say you're sick when you're really not??

FeelinYummy

Asked by FeelinYummy at 8:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't think I've ever done it, although my husband has. haha In fact, he called in one day because we were "busy" and that's what he told his boss, and his boss said to just take the day because he was being honest and he had never had anyone call in with that as the reason they weren't coming in.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Ya all the time. We used to have 2 forms of leave: Normal time off and Sick time. They'd both pool and what you didn't use at the end of the year, you lost. I didn't get sick often so my Sick pool would often get quite high and I'd lose it.

So ya, when I needed to take my car in or wanted to sleep in or take a day off, I'd play the sick card or say I had a Dr's appt. They'd never know and I didn't have to use my Normal time off (that you didn't lose and was harder to gain).

They'd only require proof if you did it for several days in a row or very frequently.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:33 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I'm one of those people that always shows up. Never been any good at calling out.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 8:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Absolutely not. I value my job and I don't want to lose it because I'm seen as unreliable. I save my sick days for when I am really sick, or if my children are sick. After all, what happens if you bump into someone from work or something and they see you're not really sick? It's not worth it, in my opinion. If I want time off, I request it ahead of time, that's what PTO is for.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I used to all the time. I did it on my husband's off days so we could spend some time together. :)

Don't have to worry about that now though. ;-)
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Sure, I think everyone has, but may be surprised if not.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:32 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• only once a year or less. i don't like getting into that habit.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 8:42 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I have in the past, but I don't anymore because I only work part time and don't get paid sick days! DH does sometimes though... in fact maybe I can get him to stay home with us one day this week. LOL
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• yes i have a couple times
    nautumn84

Answer by nautumn84 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Maybe 20 years ago when I had been up all night ...but no I am the one that usually shows up at work sick and gets sent home
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 8:50 AM on Oct. 26, 2010