Calling all highly educated SAHM's

I have my master's and have chosen to stay home with my children. Do any of you ever feel guilty or like you are not living up to your potential? I sometimes feel this way but in my heart I know I need and want to be there for my kids. Interested in others lives and thoughts.

r2momma

Asked by r2momma at 1:20 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• I am a SAHM with a BA. Sometimes I do wish I had used my degree more, but do not feel like there is anything else I could do with my life that could be as important. I really can honestly say I have no regrets. I'm glad I went to college and got my degree because it was a great time in my life when I matured and became a stronger person. If I had not gone to college, I probably would have become a mom before I was mature enough to cope. Some young women make great mommys, but I think I am a better mom now than I would have been in my 20's. I needed to mature so that I had more to offer my kids. What better way to impact the future than by nurturing those who are going to form it?
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Absolutely not. I was part of the rat race for oh-so-many years and nothing I did in the corporate world remotely comes close to the good I am doing as a SAHM or the satisfaction I get from my mom job. Besides, I'm not just sitting at home dealing with nothing but kids and laundry and housework. I take classes (for fun) and I'm involved in lots of activities that let me use my brain and creative skills so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I have several Master's degrees. I pursued them because of my love of learning. I love being a SAHM and always saw it in my future. I don't at all feel like I'm "not living up to my potential," but I do get sick of being judged for it. I can't tell you how many times people say to me, "All those degrees and you JUST stay home?" It really makes me angry. Also, other people think I'm snobby because I have good grammar and a good vocabulary and speak and write properly. It annoys me to no end. I find it lonely being a highly educated mom amongst the SAHM group I know, because there's no one else in the group that can identify with my desire to pursue education.

StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Sort of... I always wanted kids, but now that they are at a stage that I'm just dying to get through, I'm wanting to get back to my career now more than ever. I'm a violinist. I have my music education degree and I want to play professionally, but can't because the kids don't let me practice and the long night and weekend rehearsals and concerts would take too much time away. So instead, I teach private lessons and play gigs. I'm hoping to play with a community orchestra soon. Maybe when they get older I'll get back to real playing. I miss it so much... I feel like I'm not contributing to society at all and my brain is rotting. Can't even remember what a neopolitan 6th chord is anymore...
    icook

Answer by icook at 9:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Thank you soooooo much for asking this question. I got my master's degree only a year and a half ago. I really was planning to go back to work. However, nobody could have prepared me for the overwhelming desire to be home with my daughter. I feel like being a mother is the most important job I will ever have. I feel like I am contributing to society be raising her the best I can, and she will be an amazing, successful person who will contribute as well. I feel my education and  expereinces have helped me become the person that I am today, which shaped the kind of mother I am today. This just better helps me raise my daughter. If I were uneducated, I am sure my parenting skills would be affected.

jaysmommy007

Answer by jaysmommy007 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2008