How much would you pay for a halloween costume that you kid is only going to wear once?

just curious cause im taking my stepdaughter to get a halloween costume this evening.

nautumn84

Asked by nautumn84 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Holidays

• I try to limit it to $20. The first Halloween after my ex and I split up I ended up paying $40 for my middle son's simply because I felt guilty and wanted him to have everything he wanted. I've calmed down since then and realized I can't do it all!

Answer by missanc at 8:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Usually my kids wear it more than once after Halloween. They use their costumes as dress play. IMO, if you have the money ans want to splurge, do it. If you have worries about spending a lot, don't do it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I try not to go over $20. This year we got our daughter's costume for $17, we already have the shoes and tights so that was free. We bought her a bag for $1, but a family member made her a bag, so that was free. So we spent under $20 for her whole costume and accessories.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• *and*
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think $30 is reasonable
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 8:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I'm cheap so I don't pay much. I try to buy them when they go on clearance for the next year. This year I found a great deal at a thrift store. I bought a nice Disney costume for my grandson ,expensive retail price, but I bought it for $1.00. I refuse to pay retail and even try to make them but if I have to pay I won't pay more than $10. They go on sale so wait for the sales.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• We spent $40 on DD's costume this year.

But she wears her costumes more than just for one time of TorT'ing. She has worn it 4 times already and has at least 4 times yet to come...

ALREADY

Showing off and getting treat bag from vet office
    Chick or Treat with local Mom's group
    HallowBoo @ local amusement park
    ZooBoo @ local zoo

YET TO COME

Costume contest and Trick or Treat @ local mall
    Halloween parade before party @ school
    Trick or Treat in our local town
    Trick or Treat in IL's town
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think twenty isn"t to bad to spend on a costume. Kmart has them half off this week.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• This was my 1st year buying my son a costume, he's 17 months, and I spent $35 on the costume
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 8:56 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I usually try and spend $20 or less. That being said, usually when the costumes go on sale after Halloween, I buy several then. Also, lots of the little accessory things. I have found that the kids in my family love to play dress up, and they make great small gifts at Christmas!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:59 AM on Oct. 26, 2010