Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mykids father has a drug problem I've been with him for 5 years now should I leave him or stay

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • If you think that it is appropriate for a child to be exposed to a druggie's life style, then by all means stay. Apparently it hasn't bothered you for the past five years.

    Also, I don't think anyone can just give you a yes or no with that one statement. If you want it to work out with the two of you, then get him into rehab.

    Answer by dakotaNrye at 1:32 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • If you've had enough, go ahead and go. I've been where you are. I was married to an addict for 10 yrs. I tried, tried and TRIED to do everything I could to stick it out and make it work. At the end I realized that I was powerless in the fight. It's the constant worry that was the killer. Always stressed about "what's next". I've been divorced for 3 yrs now and I now I am "living" my life. I will never go back there again.

    Answer by hopelessnance at 1:34 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • Well I mean are they "hard" drugs or pot? And the other question he willing to do detox and get help? If he doesn't want to get help, you can't make him get help. He has to do it on his own. You can tell him how you feel but all in all he has to hit his "rock bottom". Everyone is different with there rock bottom too! Personally I would leave...I wouldn't want my kids or myself around it. Plus, if the wrong person found out you could possibly get your children taken away. I dont think thats worth it.

    Answer by raybell at 1:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • Was he a druggie this time last year? Why does it bother you more now then it did then? Make a decison to better your life, whether it is seeking help for him, staying with him or leaving him. That choice is up to you. However if you don't figure out what to do, expect your kids to follow in Dad's footsteps.

    Answer by SusieD250 at 1:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • He needs to get into rehab. If he is not willing to go then you should leave him, he doesnt deserve to have the privilege of having his children around him if he is abusing his rights as a dad and a role model. A marriage is for better or worse, this sounds like a worse but with your help it can become a better. I know its hard, my mom was married to an addict and didnt help him and they ended up divorced, he went to rehab because his ex wife was trying to get full custody of their kids. He is clean now and he and my mom are working on their relationship.
    Good luck and God bless.

    Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 1:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • This person just asked the question my boyfriend has adrug problem but then he falls out of his comment on going through with it in geting help my answer is to leave him hes not going to change you waited five years and you are asking this question now .Can't you see this is not a stable living enivironment.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • I moved 3 years ago and my father became a drug addict and stole everything out of our home and pawned it he also cheated on my mother he got help several times going in and out of rehab as well as homes . . Him and my mother were together for 30 years and finally my mom just couldnt take it anymore and 3 weeks ago filed for divorce . . I know its hard you have children together but you could always get back together if he changed but I mean he needs to at least be clean for a year til you can start trusting him again . . .

    Answer by ah2590 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.