When do they hold a bottle?

My ds is 4 1/2 months old and has been trying to hold his bottle since he was about 3 months. He still can't do it, but I let him hold on to it while I feed him because he likes it and I figure it's good practice. I'm in no hurry for him to self-feed, but I was just curious about when it's normal for them to hold the bottle by themselves completely?

SamanthaAgain

Asked by SamanthaAgain at 1:28 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is around the time.. mine started around 3 months as well. She can hold the 4.5 ounce bottles no problem, the big 8 ouncers are too heavy for her little hands.. she is 7 months now.

Great tattoo btw.. :)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 8:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I think my son was able to do it completely by himself by six months. I know that at four months he was really trying, but his little hands would get tired.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 1:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• try using a 4oz storage feeding bottle, my son was able to grasp his little hands around it when he was 7 days old.....then every couple of feedings get a bigger bottle, it works for my son now and he holds his most of the time and he drinks almost 5 or 6 ounces at a time and is able to remember how to hold it............
    jacobjamesmommy

Answer by jacobjamesmommy at 2:06 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My son was he same way and then all the sudden at about 5 months he figured it out. At first he could only hold the small bottles but with practice he got better .
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 10:36 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My son held his bottle when he was 6 months. I put my sons hands on his bottle and he figured out what to do
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I used a 4oz feeding bottle and my two week old daughter is already trying to hold it. She does it at every feeding, so I would guess that they can hold the bottle by themselves very early if they've had lots o practice.
    denswife

Answer by denswife at 12:20 AM on Nov. 1, 2008