Too many activities?

Does anyone think 2 movies, a school festival, a halloween event, 2 visits to chuck e cheese, and a field trip all within 2-3 weeks time is too much for a 5-year-old? It just seems too much to me for stepson, but grandma seems to want to keep taking this kid out to all these type of things (I'm not against the school thing or the halloween one, but I feel movies should be a once in a while - every 4 or 5 month - treat, and same for chuck e cheese, not all the time.) If I say anything bad about it I'll probably be criticized since it's my stepson and not bio son, but I think he's too spoiled in regards to this kind of thing.

Is this too much? How do you all feel about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is this an all the time thing, or is she just up to visit? I think if she's in the area for a few weeks there's nothing wrong with spoiling him while she's there, but if it's constant all the time, yeah, that seems like too much.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:35 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• She lives with us :|
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I do think that if all that is going on within a 2 - 3 week period then yes it is a lot. At my school we try to schedule 1 - 2 after hours events. For example in December we are doing a Barnes and Noble night and our Evening with Santa night.

The school might do so many events because they have found it give families more options. I do not think the school expects every family to go to everything, although I could be wrong.

If you really want to say something then I would talk to you husband first and see what he says. If he agrees with you then I would say something.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Cornflake - don't really understand where you think they are all SCHOOL events - only 1 was a school event.

Movies at the movie theater, chuck e cheese, etc. are all things she decides she has to take him to.

My husband doesn't seem to have an opinion on it and won't stand up to his mother but I'm the one stuck with hearing the kid whine because I won't get him stuff or let him do stuff when I take care of him.
    Anonymous

• If it's too much for him, he'll let you know. It does sound like a lot, but in the end, the kid is lucky enough to have people who like to do things with him. That's better than the alternitive. I don't think you can 'spoil' a kid by doing things with him, anyway. Let the kid and grandma live it up. They are creating wonderful memories together, and building a relationship besides. THink about the things he'll do with his kids, (nieces, nephews, ect.) because of how much fun he had as a kid?
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 12:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• That does sound like a lot of stuff. I would not worry so much about the spoiling as much as I would worry about all of the activity becoming overwhelming after a while after a while. Every child no matter the age needs to be at home some.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• We run a lot with my boys. We would probably do more if we could afford to. With school we usually have a couple birthday parties a month, a school event (carnival, special day etc) a few weekend trips, park, mall, etc. (this weekend we have a b-day, a halloween party and a Powwow to go to) as well as trick or treat tomorrow. During sports seasons we are half insane.

My boys are equally happy staying home though, or having friends over. Naw, I don't think it's a spoiled thing. What specifically IS spoiled? In my definition it's a kid that CAN'T entertain themselves, or who insists upon being entertained 24/7. If it was going there, then I might put my foot down and say these things are a privilege and meant for people who can handle them. If he wasn't acting that way, I would let them have their fun.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2008