What lesson can I teach my son?

my son is 8. He acts like a "tough guy" a lot. Its even gotten him hurt once before nothing serious he was just telling this girl he knew all about karate (which he knows nothing of it) it turned out she is in karate well she was going to show him some moves and ended up hurting him. So I tried to tell him you shouldnt try to show off or be all tough cause you will fall on your face, but he still has not learned. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have the same issue with my son 7 almost 8... HE HE HE.. MAYBE IT IS THE AGE..

I personally tell my son. If you open your mouth and say you can do something.. eventually someone will call your bluff.. (TRY TO FIND OUT IF YOU REALLY CAN) He has had the same thing happen. EXAMPLE: This last sunday at our church he told the son of our pastor.. "YOUR A PUNK" this "punk" HAPPENS TO BE A 13 YEAR OLD BOY... said 13 year old proceeded to turn my son upside down on his back and stand over him saying.. say what? MY SON.. AS STRONG WILLED AS HIS MOMMA...LOL SAID.... "I SAID YOUR A PUNK!" He proceeded to get a few mild punches to the sides.. He came home ruffled and mildly bruised.. But he learned a lesson. I stood there and allowed it. WHY? Because I would rather him learn it.. than wait till later where kids with guns, knives or god knows what.. might teach him the lesson THE HARD WAY!
    P.S. ME AND THE PASTOR.. BOTH WERE WATCHING
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My boys went through this too at that age...I think at that age they think they are invincible. I'd just continue to do what you're doing, they do grow out of it. (at least my boys did).
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• He will learn from the natural consequence that comes with his actions
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2010