Do you make your child eat "EVERYTHING ON THEIR PLATE?"

Once upon a time it was common practice to make a child eat everything that was put on his or her plate. Unfortunately, it's really not a healthy habit. Because of the growing incidence of overweight children and adults, it's important to instill proper eating habits at a young age. That means teaching your child to stop eating once they feel full ?not forcing them to eat everything in front of them.

So How do you feel about this.. And considering this HOW DO YOU TEACH YOUR CHILD NOT TO WASTE FOOD?

Starting at age 4 my son was allowed to choose what he wanted.. I would give him one tablespoon and if he wanted more then good.. However if he refused to eat... I put tinfoil or seran wrap on it and heated it later.... That was my way of making him accountable and also not breaking the bank...

MAKEMYDAY101

Asked by MAKEMYDAY101 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• no, but if they dont eat it they get noithing else exceot it until breakfast the next day ( referring to dinner)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• no, but they will eat as a leftover later.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:02 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Nope. I make them try everything (about a tablespoon), if they don't like it then they don't have to eat more. I also make sure to portion food appropriately for their age.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:04 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• No, I don't force her to eat something if she doesn't want it. I also don't go out of my way to fix her something else if she doesn't want what is given to her. I don't make things she doesn't like, so she knows to either eat what's given or she has to wait until we eat again. And she also knows that if she doesn't at least eat SOME of her dinner, she won't get her after dinner yogurt. I don't give her more than she will eat, so that usually results in not having much leftover.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• They have to try everything we are having, but I don't make them eat a huge helping of something they don't like. If it's a new food or if it's something I know they don't like, I always put a very small amount on their plate.

Answer by missanc at 9:17 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• No, I don't. I try to make them sit and eat as much as they can, but if they are really full then they don't have to finish it. The way I see it, if an adult is full, they would just quit eating....they don't have anyone there to force them to eat it. Why should a child?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:25 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Nope...not even possible since DD is so picky that sometimes she won't even eat her favorite dish.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:05 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Nope.. DD is not forced to eat anything. She is a gracer & it can take her 2hrs to eat 1 meal... So im not going to force her to eat faster, or more...
    And I am NOT going to make her eat something she doesnt like.. My dh had to do this with his veggies as a kid -- it did NOT help him like veggies. even now as an adult he wont eat them & if he has found out ive sneaked them into food he will stop eating..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• No, but they do have to eat it all if they want seconds on anything else. The only time they don't have to finish something before they get more is if it is something that they haven't tried before and it turned out that they didn't like it. And if they want desert (which is a VERY rare treat in our house), they have to eat all of their dinner (at least the first plate). And all leftovers go in the fridge to be eaten at a later date (leftover night!).
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• no, but he has to try at least one bite of everything..
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2010