Did you have to give up your dreams because you becme a mom?

StepJenni

Asked by StepJenni at 1:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in General Parenting

• I got my dream when I became a mother. I had always wanted to be a mother, and I didn't know HOW bad I wanted it until I had some medical issues that threatened my ability to have children. When I finally became pregnant, well, I just cant explain the joy. Since then, I have been much more motivated to pursue my other dreams like getting my degrees, working in education, that sort of thing. I suppose it really depends on what your dreams are. I think the only thing I'm missing out on now is travel. Its so expensive to take more people, and there is less money to go around...egh...maybe when I finish my masters and I'm making the big bucks I'll be able to travel too!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Of course not, but you may have to postpone them a bit depending on what they are.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• There are a lot of life decisions that I have made, other than just motherhood, that have changes my direction in life.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 2:01 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I put my career dreams on hold for a while because of my baby. It is hard sometimes, but worth it when i see that toothless smile. Jobs are always there, time for babies goes quick.
    GemmaCap

Answer by GemmaCap at 2:02 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I didn't give up my dream I just put it on hold!
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 2:06 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• It almost doesn't matter what you have to give up...It's more of a trade off, really. I so don't remember anymore what was the big dream all about because my life now is full of love, excitement and unforgettable special moments that i never even knew i could have.

Loba

Answer by Loba at 8:55 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Sort of... I always wanted kids, but now that they are at a stage that I'm just dying to get through, I'm wanting my career dream back now more than ever. I'm a violinist. I want to play professionally, but can't because they don't let me practice and the long night and weekend rehearsals and concerts would take too much time away. So instead, I teach private lessons and play gigs. I'm hoping to play with a community orchestra soon. Maybe when they get older I'll get back to real playing. I miss it so much...
    icook

Answer by icook at 9:04 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• nope. I always wanted kids so it sorta was a dream come true. Plus, I finished school before I got married and made sure I had a job and house before I had my baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My dream WAS to be a mom!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:30 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• i feel like. medical school went into nursing school.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2008