what makes an addict an addict...why are some people addicted to something and others are not?

whether it be drugs or shopping ,why does it affect some not others?

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Health

• My Dad says that some people have an addictive personality. I do not have one. I can have 1 drink of wine (or whatever) and stop there. I have no desire to try illegal drugs. I go shopping and get only what is on my list. But my brother and one of my sisters like my Dad have an addictive personality. They can't quit anything after just one time. It always has to keeping going whatever it may be. I can't explain it but if you'd meet them you'd be able to see it. My Dad is better now and has a hard time watching 2 of his children make all the same bad choices he once made.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 9:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• In MY opinion I think there are a lot of things that can trigger an addiction-- some people maybe more genetically predispostioned to it - if there is a substance abuse in the family, some could be impulse control, some do it to fill a void, for some it is an obsession and they can't break it. For some it is a never ending cycle- The need it, crave it and they are not satisfied until they get it. Then once they get it they get that feeling (high, happiness)- which only lasts so long. Then the feeling is going and the cycle starts again.
    In my and my hubs family there is alcoholism- hubs dad, hubs sister and sister's son. I have a son who is on the Autism Spectrum and his obsession object is his Xbox 360. He just got it for his birthday, so right now that is the ONLY thing he wants to do and if I let him he'd be on it 24/7! He wants to play, he gets upset when it is time to stop, he talks about it when not playing....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:17 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• children of addicts have higher likelihood of being that way themselves but sometimes ppl just either have a highly addictive personality or they dont .
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Most of the time it's in there genes a hereditary factor.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2010