Am I crazy for teaching my son and dd about "birds and bees"?

I was at our schools fall festival Friday and a group of us moms were talking together....several of us were pregnant. So the topic turned to kids asking questions about babies. I blurted out that my son 7 and dd 5 knew that the baby came out of the moms bottom and it was natural and God made it so that moms could do that.

They looked at me like I was from Mars! One woman said her 10 year old still just only knew about c-sections. They all laughed and said, "no way, I am not going there"

I think they are crazy....the new baby on the way has opened a door for honest questions and answers....I dont get graphic and gross...but I try to be honest and explain and make them know its not scary and its ok.

Am I alone?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 9:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Good for you! Better they learn the facts from you now than rumors in the schoolyard in the future.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I was pregnant with my 2nd when my son was 6, and answered my son's questions honestly, but with simple information that gave only as much as necessary. First of all, kids that age tend to share information....and they don't always share it accurately. I don't know that I'd tell a kid that the baby comes out of the mom's bottom. First of all that's a little inaccurate, but could also be very confusing.

At that age I just told my son that the baby had a special way to come out. He was pretty satisfied with that. I think giving honest age appropriate answers is best, and the older they get, the more they will ask, and the more detail you can give. You can find books at the library that help you give appropriate information for their age.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:30 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I don't know that I'd tell a kid that the baby comes out of the mom's bottom

Well I went that route b/c I wanted them to know the "area" that the baby came out but didnt want to get into how many exits there are actually down there ....lol.....

My son checked out a "body" book at the library that showed the insides of male and female anatomy....and he was very interested in that too.

Saw the uterus and said "thats the babies sack right" LOL......
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My 4th child is 2 year old and my 5th is 3 months old. My now 9 (dd) and 10 (ds) year olds were asking questions when their 2 year old brother was born. I told them the truth - they know all about it. No problems, lots of questions! lol I did talk to them separately so they could feel free to be open and honest, and I went into more detail with my dd about her period because I feel there's more she needs to know about it. My 4th and 5th were both planned csections, but I told my older kids about babies being born vaginally as well. I think it's much better for them to hear about it from parents. Around here, they do a sex education class in 5th grade anyway so I knew I needed to talk to them before that!

Answer by missanc at 9:36 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I guess I'm responding to your comment that your friends were crazy for letting the kids think they all came from c-sections, but I think that might be better than getting inaccurate information that they share with other kids. One of my sons was told by another friend that a baby was made when the dad put "you know what" in the mom's "butt", it took him a long time to bring it up to me, he was shocked, and now I had to have a conversation that wasn't quite what I expected with my 11 year old son.

Kids are going to get misinformation, but I wouldn't want to give them the misinformation and have them spread that. Better to wait until they are ready for the actual facts, at least in my opinion.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My children are 12, 11, and 9. I've been talking to them about the birds and bees since we've been able to carry on a conversation. They are ahead of their years when it comes to that topic. It's a good thing becaue some of the things they come back and tell me they heard at school are crazy. I perfer to teach them right than them learn wrong from their class mates. They know the human anatomy of a male and female, how babies are born, and how the reproductive organs work to create life. I have also taught them about STD's and Aids/hiv, Gone on the internet to show them pics of what can happen if they have unprotected sex. I think your doing the right thing we should be honest with them at all times. Communication is important and if you talk to them early they'll come to you about anything. Mine do and I'm glad they trust me to come to me with questions or just things they want to talk about.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• GOOD FOR YOU!
    My sister knew about all of that when she was five years old. Then she told everyone in her class, so mom got a lot of concerened calls. However, I think it's great that children know when they're genuinely curious. It's important that they get honest and to the point answers, because when it comes down to them being involved in that they'll need to know. I believe that every child has a right to the truth. Regardless of what it is about. I think that the more they know the truth to, the less they'll be confused about later. And if they need more information they know they'll be able to come to you for an honest answer. That's important!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If the kids asked questions, you were right to answer them honestly. Vagueness might be good (they come out of a very small opening in a mommy's body) but don't mislead them (comes out of mommy's bottom). Perhaps those weren't your actual words or perhaps you were uncomfortable and something came out that you wish you'd said differently. But yes, it's crazy that other moms are acting Puritanical about a child's natural curiosity about where babies come from. You don't have to give them the prenatal class video of a baby's birth but simple and honest answers are always good. I think the experts would say the same thing.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 2:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• my kids know and they are 5 and almost 7
    We talk about all the "taboo" stuff
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I told my twins when they asked. One was 5 and the other was 7. If you can't answer a basic question like that what are you going to tell them when they ask what molestation is? If you are uncomfortable answering questions then your kids will pick up on that and wont ask you anymore...they'll ask someone else. Who would you rather have answering them? So, no you're not alone.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010