What do you teach your children about SELF DEFENCE?

UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES CAN THEY DEFEND THEMSELVES?
HOW ARE THEY ALLOWED TO BEHAVE?

MAKEMYDAY101

Asked by MAKEMYDAY101 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• If someone s hitting you and wont goaway, you may hit them back. In order to prevent further damage to yourself. And they know to also help defnd people smaller and weaker
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I don't want my kids to be violent.. but if a kid would happen to start beating them up, I want them to hit back! I don't expect them to sit there and take it! They know that they aren't to start fights & they are to be respectful!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• When my son is old enough, we will teach him to defuse the situation (if possible) and how to protect himself (if necessary).

He would be allowed to defend himself in any situation that he felt was an imminent threat to his health or life. For example, if someone started swinging punches at him, I would hope that he would fight until he or someone else neutralized the threat. I think all kids should be equipped to defend themselves.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If someone is bothering them I tell him to say to stop bothering him and to tell the grown up present (teacher, babysitter, parent, etc). If the grown up do nothing and the kid keeps bothering him I tell him to change places or move away. If someone hit him he can hit back and will have no problem with me. But that he should not be the one that hit first but if someone do something to him he need to defend himself.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 9:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• On his 4th b-day we are enrolling our son in a gym that teaches Brazillian jiu jitsu. He'll know how to defend himself without having to hurt someone.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:58 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My kid is allowed to defend himself, verbally and physically.....He is taught kindness and compassion, and never starting a fight.....but he is allowed to defend himself or another person verbally or physically to the point of the other person backing down.....and if the school doesn't back him up, I will.....He is also in tai quan do classes to help build strength and confidence...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I teach mine to use their words to resolve conflict. They may only defend themselves physically if assulted first.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• The girls take Tae Kwon Do, they know how do defend themselves
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Don't start it - but when attacked, you may finish it. Just went through this one, and defended my son for taking down the kid who sucker punched him twice. We had an excellent opportunity on the day of his suspension to discuss this in depth, and he's much wiser about life than before this happened.
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010