I am nervous and need help!

well to begin I have a working interview coming up and I really need this job to gain some experience for the job that I want to do. the only problem is the area that its in is known to be racist. I have heard so many horror stories an five years back they were on the news! I do not know what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Walk in NOT expecting them to be racist. You have a right to be there, just as they do. Don't let the past horror stories scare you from doing something you need/want to do - you may be pleasantly surprised!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:01 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Put your best foot forward, prepare for the interview by knowing a lot about the company and the position for which you are applying, get a bang-up resume together, and follow-up the interview with a thank-you. It's all of the stuff recommended for how to succeed at an interview. There isn't anything you can do about the racism part, so if this is the job you want, just go for it in the best way that you can.

Good luck!!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:03 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Be pleasant and confident. Best of luck to you!

Answer by Bmat at 10:04 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I personally wouldn't want to work for a company like that, but I understand that you need a job, however, you have to think about how you're going to be treated if you do start working there. I wish you the best.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Things could have changed there. I would just go for the interview for this job that you know so well YOU are capable of obtaining. YOU are better than any other candidate out there, and well, YOU GOT THIS!! Don't think any different.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:22 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Just because the neighborhood is racist doesn't mean the company is. Besides you're only using this job as a stepping stone. You won't be there forever.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Go in prepared with great questions and great answers.

I do career and job search coaching (I never charge CafeMoms for my services), and will be happy to help you prepare; just send me a message offlist.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Maybe things have changed since then. Just be yourself! GL girl!
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 11:24 AM on Oct. 29, 2010