Do you read to your child(ren) even if they won't sit still?

Just curious, because I've often heard people say they don't read to their kids (especially toddlers) as much as they would like since they won't sit still. I do, because when my son was infant, a children's librarian said to go ahead and read to them even if they are very energetic and generally all over the place. They will still pick up the vocabulary, and they're listening more than you think. I've been doing this ever since, and now that he talks more, he actually says many of the book lines with me; so I can tell that he has been listening, even if he walks around the room and only sits with me occasionally.

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Of course! Eventually they will want to sit with you but for now just hearing your voice while they play is great!! Children that young are not meant to sit still!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I used to read to read to them all of the time, when I nursed, when they were doing laps around the room, and, of course, when they were sitting still. My older 2 are now amazing readers. DS1 read all of Harry Potter twice in 6 months at age 9. DD read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy at 9. And at 5, DS2 is a better reader than his siblings were because we were always reading to each other when he could sit still.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I have alwayed read to my children. When they were little and didn't want to sit still as much, I would let them do things like turn the pages or I would ask them about the book. That way they were interacting with me and they would pay attention more. Now my children are 13, 11, and 9 and they all love to read.

I think it is very important to read to your children and they get so much out of it!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• yes! DS will often stop what he's doing if he hears a familar word or sound or if my voice changes and listen! Happens all the time at library storytime. He'll wander off and play, but once the reader asks the kids to jump like the dog in the book or to moo or to look at the blue car, he'll run back to the group and listen and participate
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:32 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Only if it is a book I'm enjoying......but for the most part, I read to my kids when they sat still and were interested....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I don't read as much as I would like to, but not because they don't sit still. Just I don't know .. I guess I never get around to it. I know I should though.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:57 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My kids WOULD sit still when I read to them. :-) They have always been calm and they always had tremendous attention spans and curiosity. It was always a pleasure to read to them or watch a good appropriate movie with them...even in a theater. I feel so sorry for Moms with HYPER kids.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Even if they don't seem to be paying attention, they are to a certain extent. Keep reading to them. It will pay off in the long run. Been there.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:02 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes - we read all the time. Especially now that I have a younger infant. I can read to my 2 year old while I'm nursing, so it's a great storytime whether he's sitting next to us or not.

Answer by missanc at 11:21 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I continue to read even if my daughter can't sit still :)
    BShip2010

Answer by BShip2010 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2010