I feel like a blonde having to ask this, but...

what do contractions feel like? I was induced last time and never experienced the transition into labor, just the full blown labor. So I was wondering, what do they feel like. I am currently 37 weeks and 3 days.
I am asking because I'm getting a feeling of stabbing pins and needles in my lower abdomen. I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon, so I'm not too worried. I'm just curious.

PhoenixFire

Asked by PhoenixFire at 10:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Contractions feel like "menstrual cramps" the same way a tornado is "just a little windy".
    mybabybugssmile

Answer by mybabybugssmile at 12:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Contractions feel like menstrual cramps. They stay tight for about a minute and then release.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Mine felt like a tightening of my whole stomach, sometimes they hurt. You could be having contractions, or even Braxton-Hicks. It's not a "blond" question! :) Your doctor may be able to help you out with this, mine was good at helping me figure out what was going on.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:14 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Mine felt like my stomach was being squeezed and my belly got really hard. It would start at the back and squeeze towards the front. I've heard people describe them so many different ways though.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• One, I'm a blonde so I resent that! To answer your question it feels like very intense/tight cramps all over your belly and wraps around to your back.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Hon... I totally understand your question. I had 4 kids but it wasn't until the last one that I had to actually time contractions and try to guess if I was ready to go to the hospital. All the other ones, my water broke on so it took the guessing out of it.
    Let us know how the dr appt went.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Doc appointment went good. He said the needle pain was probably the cervix stretching as I have gone from no effacement to 50% effacement.
    And worriedmommy, I didn't mean any offense. I'm naturally blonde as well. (Or I was until I dyed my hair and the roots decided to grow out the same color as the hair dye. Not joking. I guess I'm now a dark-red head.)
    PhoenixFire

Comment by PhoenixFire (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• They feel like bad menstrual cramps that make your uterus as hard as a rock.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 8:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010