How are you sensitive to other's infertility?

I was just reading about infertility. Fortunately for me, all my friends are political voiced. Pregnancy never comes up. I have one daughter who's in college. Because of either financial instability or my commitment to work, life didn't allow me to have other children. I aborted a pregnancy about two years ago for the very reason. And yes, I cried, but it was the best decision. Now, my eggs are getting really old, and I don't want to risk pregnancy for chromosomal reasons. When baby thoughts come into my head, I benchmark myself with very successful women who shunned pregnancy because of their jobs (such as Stevie Nicks - love her).

How do you address others who are sensitive about infertility?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I am not sure whether or not someone is fertile has ever come up in a conversation.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:20 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You don't, this is a personal issue and nobody's business....

Answer by older at 11:22 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I just don't address other people's fertility. It's not something I feel I need to be sensitive about at all.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• That's something I wouldn't bring up about someone else....only if they bring it up themselves and then ask my opinion.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It's not something I would bring up unless I knew it was an issue in someone's life and they wanted to talk. If I knew about it, but they didn't seem to want to talk, I would be very sensative when talking about my infertility and my child in front of them. I try to be very sensative to this topic, having experienced it for years and years.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 1:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• The subject has never come up, possibly because I don't ask other's why they don't have children.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I never bring it up, but will share my bumpy path to Motherhood when asked. I am not so sure your story has to do with infertility- sounds more like choices than problems with fertility.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Choosing NOT to have a child for any reason other than you medically CAN"T is not infertility. It is a choice. I respect the choice of others to plan their families as they will. I do not agree with abortion, it is not a choice for me. Having said that, if Stevie Nicks chose not to have children and a career instead, kudo's to her. However, I think if you chose to have kids, then they become the priority and careers etc come second. My SD mom suffers from secondary infertility. She had her DD and wanted more with her current husband but for some reason cannot. She has been to many specialists, it is hard on her. I have 5 children, two of whom I had when I was 39 and 40 yrs old, both healthy. I try to be respectful of the feelings of others. If they chose to share what they are going through fine, if not fine too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I work in a doctor's office that deals with infertility issues. Most people who I know that have problems conceiving come to me for help or advise and I do the best I can to help them. Being infertile is not an issue to bring up with someone who is unless they approach you.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• How is that "infertility"? Sounds to me like you made conscious decisions for your own health/stability as well as the health and stability of your only child. That's sound family planning, not infertility.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 10:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2010