How do I break a puppy of biting?

I have a 2 month old puppy who bites when he plays and gets excited. He only does it in a playful way but it hurts. I want to break him of this now while he is still young. How do I break him of this?

Babydoll1015

Asked by Babydoll1015 at 1:54 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Pets

• Redirection. When he begins to bite you, tell him "NO" and give him a toy to chew on. If that doesn't work, do puppy time out.

He begins to bite, tell him, "No" then if he does it again, tell him he is going in "time out"

Lock him in a bath room or a room close by. Only leave him in there for 10 seconds. When he comes out, if he bites again, immediately say no and that you are going into time out. It might take a while, but believe me it works.

My girlfriend who is a professional dog trainner/manager at a Maimi Zoo, told me this :)
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 1:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Make sure not to go over ten seconds, for their attention span is so short, they will forget why they are in there
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 1:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• WELL I HAVE TWO THEY DID IT TO WHAT I DID WAS GRAB THERE MOUTH AND SAY NO BITE EVERYTIME AND THEY GOT IT THEY WERE SMART THEY DON'T DO IT ANY MORE NOT HARD JUST A HAND OVER GENTLY ON THERE SNOUT !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Grab there snout and say dont bite on for about 5 sec. and not hard they will know after awhile not to do it Good Luck
    tryingmom203

Answer by tryingmom203 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I have trained many dogs in my life time and I somewhat agree with Dakota. Don't play fight with hands or feet. Use toys to throw for them to go and fetch, don't give them the oppertunity to bite you. They are puppies and are in your care for the training of the do's and don'ts. They realy just need to learn what is right and wrong. Holding or grabing the snout, may make them hand shy. Later you want to be able to look at thier teeth and gums. So you use that time to do so, not when he wants to bite tho. Training, training,training is what you have to do to teach the pup the rules. If it's your first dog, look on line for some training tips, they will be helpful later. The word no is a good start. Good luck with your puppy, and make sure you use praise to make it a good thing.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I would put my dogs on paw in his mouth when he would bit when he was a puppy. and say no..he e ventually got it that it hurts, toys also help
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I have had many dogs in my life and have trained them all specially because I have kids and I also babysit. When I have played with them as puppies and they started biting hard while playing I would take their mouths with my fingers so they would be biting the inside of their own mouth instead of my fingers and they learned to either play nice or dont bite
    mybabiesx7

Answer by mybabiesx7 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Puppies will playbite no matter what! Only when they play with their littermates they bite back or cry, that way telling em that it hurts... so what you can try is whenever he gets too ruff say "NO" loud and strong and stop playing right away, just get up and ignore him...
    Good luck!
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 9:46 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I would try crying out like you are an injerd puppy and refuse to play for a few minutes.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2008