should I use a mediator or attorney for my divorce

ginny759

Asked by ginny759 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• If you and your almost-ex are in agreement on everything, I would go the least expensive route (likely a mediator). If you are scared that he is going to do something under handed, I would use an attorney to make sure your rights are protected.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:33 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• are you asking either/or
    or are you asking should you have someone represent you rather then represent yourself? if its the first I'm not sure what the difference would be... if its the 2nd.. then YES definitely! My husband got totally screwed in his divorce because his ex had a lawyer and he didn't.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If you all can talk, and agree on most things, go with a mediator. If you cannot get along well enough to agree, or feel that you cannot stand up for yourself against him, go with an attorney.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My soon to be ex and I just met with an attorney to start our divorce, but he worked as a mediator rather than an attorney, because we were in agreement on everything. I knew he wouldn't screw me over and that we both just want to move on.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:37 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Going to a mediator you and your DH need to agree on EVERYTHING. They only legalize what is agreed on. An attourney is on neccisary if you two do not agree and need to go to court to sort things out.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:45 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I agree that you should use a lawyer. The lawyer is there to protect YOU, the mediator is just there so you work things out peacefully. It may cost more, but not being protected can cost you for years.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2010