Does my four month old sleep too much?

My infant sleeps solid from 12:00am or 1:00 am to at least 9:00am or 10:00am. Is that normal? He's a chubby baby, not fat, but well fed (my pediatrician said to watch out on our feeding...I nurse and he eats when he wants to. That I will not change, he knows when he is hungry). My breasts start hurting so bad around 7am and I really desire to wake him for my own comfort. My husband is concerned with our peaceful nights, our four year old was as much different experience. That just seems like a lot of solid sleep for a baby. He sleeps every two or three hours during the day as well. I know this is crazy that I am asking this. But, I just have to ask. With our other child, it was not so easy. I just want to make sure that other moms do experience this.

llayla

Asked by llayla at 2:02 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 3 month old sleeps a solid 7 hours most nights. I wish he would sleep 10! He's usually up around 6 or 7 which is way too early for mommy lol. I wouldn't be concerned unless his ped. is or if he's not gaining enough weight from going so long without eating which you already said is not the case! I think my only concern if my baby slept like that would be making sure he's still breathing lol...but I'm paranoid like that!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:09 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My son was sleeping completely through the night at four months. I would lay him down around seven, seven thirty and he wouldn't wake up until seven the next morning.

That is not including his two naps he took durning the day either.

My son just turned two and he sleeps from eight til about seven thirty in the morning. Then he takes any where from an hour to three hour nap.

I wouldn't be worried he is sleeping too much...
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 2:09 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• good god girl enjoy it don't question it if he is healthey my daughter will be a year old next week and STILL wakes up at least twice a night i wish for just one nights sleep with out the getting up by the time i walk out to the kitchen to get her a drink she has fallen back to sleep uggghh
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:43 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My daughter was a great sleeper when she was 1st born.Lights went out she was out. til about a year old her sleeping habits went bye bye. So enjoy this lol :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:07 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Before I even read your explanation, I thought No, thats great! lol. The old wives tale is "children who eat better, sleep better", but its been true for everyone I know. My girlfriend's son is a little chunk and he slept great, my daughter was a horrible eater and a horrible sleeper, my niece was a horrible eater and a horrible sleeper...egh. I wouldn't worry a bit about it as long as your baby isn't skipping feedings or anything.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I wouldn't worry my son has been sleeping all night (8 pm to 7 am) since he was 10 weeks old. and he still take at least 2 hour long naps during the day.

If you are feeling full at 7 have you though about pumping? I would still have to pump at about 4 in the morning when i was full and he was sleeping. Just a thought GL
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 9:24 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• my son is almost 4 months old, he sleeps a total of 15 hours a day... 7pm til 7am average.. some times he goes to bed a bit earlier, or later. We breastfeed and formula feed. He eats about every 3 hours.. but i never wake him to feed him.. i just pump if i need to let go plus it allows me for a bottle later in the week. If you have a baby sleeping thru the night, why bother waking him. i would suggest pumping. then for the remainder 3 hours, he takes naps 3 of them every day.. Good Luck
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:01 AM on Oct. 30, 2008