Potty Training Woes: Am I Stressing Too Much?

My daughter will be 2 on December 1, and she is still really nowhere near being potty trained. From the day she was born, having a wet (or even feces-filled) diaper has never seemed to bother her, so that makes things difficult. Also, her vocabulary is still less than 10 words (she jabbers a lot, but not much is coherent), so I can't get verbal confirmation that she comprehends the idea. Finally, I can't leave her potty available to her, because she uses it as a step stool or rummages through the bathroom cabinets. I am all for letting children reach milestones at their own pace, but I don't want my child to be 3 and still in diapers...well, Pull-Ups, because she is tall for her age and the highest diaper size is almost to small for her as it is. She is, thus far, my only child, so I really have no experience in potty training. Help!!

KarmicChild

Asked by KarmicChild at 10:43 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Bless your heart......yes, you are stressing out too much......she is still young, and a lot of kids just don't potty train that young......but it is possible ......try watching for signs that she is ready, and then put her on the pot....otherwise consistently put her on every couple of hours....if she happens to pee in it, give her a reward, I used m & m's....just be consistent, reward successes but ignore the times she isn't successful.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Well, I thought she was ready a couple of months ago, because she started taking her diapers off when they were wet every so often. She peed in her potty twice in two weeks, but then she stood up too soon one time and peed all over the floor. Since then, I can put her on for 30 minutes, and she still won't allow herself to pee until those Pull-Ups are back on. I am convinced she was embarassed by the incident (though I certainly did NOT scold her for it), and is now afraid to pee without a diaper of some sort on.
    KarmicChild

Comment by KarmicChild (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Just breathe...she will give you signs she is ready...wait for them
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:22 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes you are stressing out too much! I understand because I did too. But she will do it when she's good and ready. I stressed because I thought my son was never going to potty train. I didnt' know if I was doing it right or if I would be able to teach him. But really all as you have to do is talk it up and they will do it when they are good and ready. It might even be another year. Biggest advice I could give. Don't worry about when other parents potty trained their kids because they are all different. With my first son I always found myself comparing and almost trying to race with other parents. No point to it. Good Luck and try and relax.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• She's not even two.... you are over stressing.
    Until she can say and understand the relationship between the sensation in her bladder and needing to pee, it's not going to work. She needs to realise when she needs to pee....

She needs to clearly know when she WILL pee... and be able to tell you. Until then it's not going to work. My gremlin was like that, a few weeks later, she did it. Two accidents in total, and now completely dry at night too.
    Let her feel relaxed and comfortable with the idea.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I have a daycare and unfortunately some kids just dont care for it for awhile...but dnt stress she will get the idea, just not in your time...and maybe your making to much of a deal out of it that its just not fun anymore...kids are so finiky at times...she'll get dnt worry until she is like 4 and still dnt care...good luck babe I got 4 kids of my own and they wewre all different....
    lechnermomof4

Answer by lechnermomof4 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Although I think your DD is still young enough that you needn't worry I t hought I would share a tip. A freind of mine had a child that really could not get over the feeling of going potty in the diaper...the fresh air on the skin seemed to stop them from going. What she did was cut a hole in the diaper and try to use the potty with the diaper on. Then the hole would get bigger and bigger until the child was use to the air instead of the diaper. It worked for her anyway.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• In answer to your question: Yes. Chill. She will get it sooner or later. All kids are different - there is no "right" age. I stressed with number one and it served no useful purpose. He still wasn't potty trained until he was three. I let the rest of the kids potty train themselves. Worked fine. Offer the potty, but don't let her train YOU by having you jump and run every time she's gotta go! They learn that's just a great way to get mommy to drop everything and give them some one on one time. When they are ready to lose the diaper, they will. Give her the one on one time without it being related to the bathroom! It really is that simple.Enjoy your darlin' daughter. You'll both be happier!
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 6:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2010