Do you go to every school function or just some?

Just wondering what other moms do about school functions. I'm talking about things like festivals and picnics, extra things that may or may not cost extra money.Do you feel guilty if you do not take the kids? Do your kids want to do all the extra's? I ask because there is a halloween party for a few hours at night this week and I really do not want to go ( I know I'm awful!!) It cost money to get in and for food and raffles etc... Halloween is in a few days ,so is my son's birthday, it's just a busy week and I just don't want to go!!

Do you usually give in to the kids or do what you want? I just want to know what other moms do.

Thanks

Sunflower722

Asked by Sunflower722 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I pick and choose. We go to about 3/4 of the things at school, but my kids know that we aren't going to attend them all. Don't feel bad about it - it's ok to say no sometimes :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I pick and choose and am firm...I don't give into the guilt....the school pressures parents and kids and I don't give into the pressure....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• it depends on what our family schedule is. if its during the school-day, he's already there, and of course, can go or participate, whether i come or not. i've gone to most of the parent-needed events..somehow, a play the 1st-graders put on yesterday afternoon completely skipped my mind. LOL! (my ds in in K, so no worries.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I only have one in school (Kindergarten) and there hasn't been a lot of things. There was a PTO meeting we went to but I don't think we will be gong to another one as it wasn't our bag. Otherwise we will partake in some! Don't feel guilty!! If you don't want to go, don't (this time!)! Be willing to "Take one for the Team" and attend some things you aren't too excited about going to!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I don't want it to sound like I don't participate in anything, I do.( In their old schools) We just recently moved and of course my kids are in new schools.I just need to adjust to things.I'm more on the shy side so it takes me awhile to feel comfortable!!
    Sunflower722

Comment by Sunflower722 (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• We do some things and not others. But if there's a lot going on this week, then let your child(ren) know that you can't fit everything into the week. Let him know there will be other fun things happening for them this week. It will be ok.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 2:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• i TRY to do as much as I can, but with the economy I am limited and afraid to take too much time off! I make it a point to go to all the function that occur after work hours, and if it something big then I will take an extended lunch ... I do wish I could go to more... but they have so many little things throughout the year it is hard to attend all of them!
    MOMMY2TWINBOYS4

Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010