Moving question. Re: packing

I am going to be moving in 7 weeks. I am renting a Penske truck and moving with the help of friends. My new destination is only 2.5 hours away, so I want to save as much work as possible as I will be doing the packing of my current house by myself.

I am not going to be packing toys, just leaving them in the baskets and toy boxes they are already in and loading them into the truck. What else can I do like this...what else can I pack easily without boxing up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Disasemble your dressers,load into truck, then reassemble in the truck and wrap your dressers with plastic or tape or push up against something.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I left the clothes hanging in the closets on their hangars, and laid them in my back seat.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I'm assming that you will be keeping any food as well since its a short trip? you can put all your pantry items in laundry baskets or open boxes to transport them- put fridge stuff in a cooler...
    leave dvds, video games etc in whatever storage they are still in... you can leave clothes in the dressers too if that won't make them too heavy to move.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• This is how I have done it and it works well...
    Pack all non using items/closets/out of season clothing/Holiday stuff first... things that will not be used at this time
    throw out/ donate/recycle items that you like ... it lessons the about you will be moving .
    Pack all books/movies/cds/dvd's in boxes -LABEL everything. Photo albums and such also. Also pack non using items in bdrms/kitchen/bathrooms. DO NOT empty dresser drawers, day of move leave items in them and cover with pillow case. Do not
    empty or box toy boxes it's easier to move.
    When loading truck, put all non using items/closets/holiday stuff/basement/ in first, then all items that get used, but not so much then all furniture except for beds and dresser and appliances these go in last bc they will be the first out and first set up first... this gives a bit of a homey feel and gives children a sense of home also.
    Label everything in which rooms etc...
    Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:53 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You could pack your sheets and towels in pillowcases, and even the smaller blankets in them also.
    KarenLee48

Answer by KarenLee48 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You can put clothes you wont need in garbage bags of those big oversized ziplock bags for storage, put cleaners and such in baskets or totes, same with movies, books, etc.

I completely disagree with the first reply of disassembling the dressers. My parents worked for a moving company for over 25 years, I worked there for about 5 years and professional movers do not disassemble dresses or even remove the clothes from them. You may want to rent work pads and just wrap a pad around each piece of furniture.

If you have tupperware type containers put utensils and other things inside them before boxing them up. Just whats in the boxes and what rooms they go into. on more than one side.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• We've moved roughly three times since my daughter was born (she'll be 4 next month). Don't disassemble dressers; you're making more work for yourself. Go room by room, packing the non-essential stuff for the next seven weeks. Pack up most of your dishes (keep out cooking utensils and such) and buy disposable plates and forks, knives, spoons, napkins (if you're not using paper towels). If your items will be in storage for a time, make sure it's climate controlled.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2010