Question for practicing Wiccians...

I have been around a lot of Wiccian people in the past...and I was wondering why do they all tell me there magickal names? I mean I was under the impression a magickal name was suppose to be private and kept to yourself. Why would they tell me? Have you or do you tell people your magick name? Am I right in assuming its usually kept private?

raybell

Asked by raybell at 2:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am Wiccan. I do not use a "magickal" name. Older Wiccan practices often used Magickal names (aka craft names). But as the religion has evolved so have some of it's practices. Using a Magickal name is a bit outdated. However, if a Witch (Wiccan) decides to strictly adhere to the older customs (as seventh day Adventists strictly adhere to only the old testament in the Christian Bible) they may use a Magickal name which was given to them at a Wiccaning (or initiation ceremony) within their circle or at special Wiccan gatherings. Some people may decide to keep their Wiccan name strictly within their circle but keeping a magickal name secret is not a necessity. You are free to share your name with whomever you feel comfortable sharing it with.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 2:26 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Thanks! I was just a little confused by that because I'm not involved in any of there groups or anything like that...just thought it was strange. Thanks for clearing it up for me. :) Take care.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 2:29 AM on Oct. 30, 2008