How do I clean when my 1 year old won't let me?

She stands at my feet and screams, gets in my way or just needs something. I can't get anything done. A playpen won't help either because she will stand in it and scream.

BShip2010

Asked by BShip2010 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try giving her something to do. When I was cleaning in the kitchen I put my twins in their highchairs and let them color or play with playdough, or I gave them babywipes to "wash" the lower cabinets. You can clean at naptime and after she goes to bed, or you can do it when Daddy can take her off your hands..
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:59 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• tell me about it! my son is 17 months now and its still that way. i will try and get alittle done while hes napping or something but it really never works out. when i really need to give my a whole apartment a good cleaning with lysol and everything, i ask my mom to watch him for me.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:59 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My DS "helps" me. I give him a washcloth, and he "cleans" while I'm getting things done. When I'm in the kitchen, I have a cupboard that has bowls and spoons in it, he enjoyed cooking with me.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Wait, did you say "let you"?

You simply do what needs to be done. Either have your child help, or ignore the screaming... simple as that.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:01 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• We had four children in four years... I totally know what you mean. lol At this point, the oldest is six and the state of my house still often leaves something to be desired... But when I need to get something done... I like to wait til they're asleep. The oldest two go to school and the littlest two nap so naptime works well. Or I do it after bedtime (8pm). Sometimes I can distract them with coloring, play-do, toys, or, if I'm desperate, movies. The fact is... You've got a baby. No one expects your house to be perfect. Oh. And please don't let the child scream. The mess will still be there when the baby is big enough for you to get something done. Who cares if your house is clean if you missed out on those sweet baby moments?
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 11:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Sometimes I would make a game of it (like picking up toys and putting them away) and have my little one help or hand him a baby wipe and have him 'help' clean, sometimes I would dump toys in the playpen and put him in there while I did some cleaning, if I was in the kitchen I would put him in the high chair and give him a cookie or something to entertain him while I did dishes and cleaned the kitchen. I also cleaned during nap time or waited till hubs got home and he took over parenting while I cleaned. If I was doing a full blown spring cleaning where I wanted to clean the whole house and get it spotless then I would ask my mom or mil to take my child for the day.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My goodness! who is the adult here? use your imagination and give the baby something to occupy his time with, if this is as a toddler, this child will walk all over you when he is older!

Answer by older at 11:19 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My DD is 16mths old and i still get nothing done...Good luck
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You could try getting her to do some cleaning too. but not sure what she is like.. try and make it fun or try and give her something that will keep her occupied.. otherwise you could just let her scream.. I know its frustrating but if you need to clean you need to clean.
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You are the parent -- your child is only 1 years old. Time to start putting your foot down otherwise it's just going to get worse!
    My daughter fusses if she does not get constant attention, too -- but I just find a way to involve her somehow. If I'm cooking I usually put her in her high chair and give her some measuring spoons or other small, safe kitchen gadgets for her to play with. If I'm cleaning, I hand her a fabric softener sheet and show her how to wipe things down. If I'm folding laundry, I throw some washcloths on the floor and she "folds" them. She absolutely loves to help out!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 26, 2010