When is it appropriate to stop showering with your kids?

I was just curious, more so for the opposite sex. My son is 4 and I have not been showering with him for over a year.

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's a personal decision, I think. If you're both comfortable with it then there's no reason to stop, I think. As a PP said, in other countries, it's common to wash with your family. It's not a sexual thing. That said, my boys mostly took baths. I think we stopped doing the shower-with-Mommy about 4-5 years old. They still shower with their father sometimes. My daughter is 2 and she's welcome to shower with me as long as she likes. Doesn't bother me a bit. We sit and talk while we wash our hair. It's a nice girl's time. :) We're cool with nudity, really, tho. The boys still sit on the bed while I dress.. It's common to see them running around in their birthday suits, too. The oldest is getting away from it at 6.5 but that's been a recent thing.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 11:45 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• When they are old enough to notice differences and ask questions.........

Answer by older at 11:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• At four, it's still hard to trust him to take a shower on his own. Really start to show him what he needs to do in there and prepare him for taking one on his own. When he feels like he can do it, just kind of supervise. I see nothing wrong with his age right now, but soon, of course, he will be getting too old.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:28 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You do realize that people in other countries have community showers with their family members? Showering is not sexual so why make it so?
    When it makes you uncomfortable, then it's time to stop but a naked body is nothing to be ashamed of.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I agree with OP!! Of course it's not sexual, but I wouldn't want the memory of my naked father if I showered with him when I was little.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 11:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Abut three. But my kids took baths.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My son is 2 1/2 and noticing my private parts, so just recently stopped. Actually I'd still do it, but he LOVES baths lol! I guess it just depends on the child.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 11:38 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I know its not sexual however I don't think my son would be please to have the memory of his naked mother.
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I never started that habit..I just never felt comfortable with it, imo.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 11:42 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My son is three, asks questions, and still takes showers with me. I don't understand how anyone can be uncomfortable with the human body. Especially since you carried that kid for nine months.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2010