Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What does your school require for your kids enrollment?

I'm trying to get my daughter enrolled at the local public preschool and was given a super thick packet. On their checklist they have:

-roof of income (no biggie)
-2 proofs of residency (no biggie)
-original birth certificate (I have no idea where this is; wondering if a certified to be true copy would work)
-social security card (how hard is it to get a new one for her?)
-TB skin test and results (would this be on the shots record?)
-parent driver license (no biggie)

Final/First question: Is all of this stuff normal for enrolling your child in public school? (We can't afford the private school; private school is also a Christian school [teaching the Bible] and we're not Christian).

Thanks so much!!!


Asked by _Tam_ at 11:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in

Level 30 (42,083 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • Wow...we need immunization forms at certain physicals at certain ages...1/10 of the tuition up front...and that's pretty much it, even the tuition is temporarily waiveable if you can prove temp. hardship. But then again this isn't a public school. I just texted my neighbor who sent all her kids to public school & currently works for the public school, she said kids don't need any of that either, but SHE needed more tests & whatnot than a nurse.

    Answer by 4time-mom at 11:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • all that you listed

    Answer by jewjewbee at 11:28 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • All we needed was proof of residency and they photocopied his birth certificate. The TB skin test thing is weird

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • and a screening from the health department, a notarized disenrollment form from their previous school, a vision and hearing test, a dental screening, and a waiver from their doctor if they have allergies and health problems along with a signed letter to the nutrition department regarding food allergies, a signed form for bus restrictions and directions for early dismissal and emergency actions in case of bad weather, a signed form allowing friends and family members to pick up kid early, a car check for car riders. It's ridiculous.

    Answer by jewjewbee at 11:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • Okay, after reading jewjewbee's - we do have to sign a few forms at registration (whether or not pictures of them are allowed to be taken/published, emergency contact info, doctor's note if child has allergies and/or needs meds during the day).

    Answer by 4time-mom at 11:33 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • you should already have a SS card for her---they send them to you as soon as the baby is born. Social security administration gets the information from the hospital.

    Answer by kerp1960 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • you should already have a SS card for her---they send them to you as soon as the baby is born. Social security administration gets the information from the hospital.
    We've moved 2-3 times since her birth (she'll be 4 next month) and it's been lost in the moves.

    Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • contact the state department of vital records and statistics where she was born for a birth certificate


    Answer by jewjewbee at 11:50 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • I needed most of those. I refused the proof of income info because it was for free/reduced lunches and I already knew I didn't qualify. They didn't require the TB test, although I kind of wish they had. (I had a false positive TB test after I was exposed to TB in pre-K by some unimmunized classmates who contracted it.)

    Signed bus rules of conduct, signed classroom rules of conduct, signed school rules of conduct, waiver of school insurance, signed informed notification of use of pesticides on campus, signed permission to use the library, signed permission to access the internet, signed permission to be included in photographs published on the school website, slide shows, or newspaper/magazine articles about the school, signed informed consent to release information to potential employers/military (I don't sign that one - my kids are ONLY 12 and 10!)

    Answer by geminilove at 11:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

  • we had to have
    proof of residency (lease or deed)
    birth certificate
    social security card
    fax and phone number to the old school for records
    full physical
    I got on the schools website and printed off all of the registration forms ahead of time so all I had to do was drop them off and make sure everything was correct.

    I agree that the TB test is weird, usually you only have to get those done when you work in healthcare or work with children but maybe you live in a high risk area

    Answer by foxracing43701 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

Next question in
Anyone here good at math

Next question overall (Entertainment)
Party Planning....