health insurance

I am trying to find afordable health insurance. Not eligeble for medicad. Anyone know of a good afordable health insurance.

lissac315

Asked by lissac315 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Health

• There is no such thing. Either you have a very high deductible coverage with an affordable monthly payment, or you have good coverage with an outrageous monthly payment.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Does your job or your husband's offer insurance? When we were without insurance (I was at home, and my husband a student), the kids were eligible for a CHIPS card, and we just went to the health dept for that.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• my S.O. and I are not married. And he has no heath insurance through his job. Medicad says he makes too much.
    lissac315

Comment by lissac315 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Not 100% about this but if you two aren't married, his income shouldn't count towards eligibility.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It does if we have children in common
    lissac315

Comment by lissac315 (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• do you need healthcare for the kids too?
    are you healthy? you could just pay as you go and only go when really necessary.
    if many people would look, they would see that they pay more into their insurance than they take as benefits.
    when i was younger and single i remember $200 a month coming out of my check and going towards health care. there was an employer contribution as well, and i didn't even spend $200 a year in healthcare.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I did research when I started my business and got off my mom's insurance after college; unless you are deathly ill, nine times out of ten it is cheaper to pay as you go to the doctor. Most offices have payment plans they can set up for you. Independent insurance, for one moderately healthy person, not counting dental, vision, OR maternity, can run 100-200/month, and then you have co-pays and deductibles on top of that- last time I was getting quotes I was looking at 200 for just me, a 5000 deductible, and co-pays ranging 25-50 per visit. When I'm not pregnant, I might see the doctor a few times a year- I wouldn't even have come close to touching the deductible. And that was a basic plan, with minimum coverage. It was cheaper for me to just go in as I needed, say I'd pay, then make arrangements when I got billed.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2010