Preparing my Kindergartener to ride the bus...

My DD has been in school for several weeks now and has been wanting to ride the bus. I can drive her, no problem as I am a SAHM. I have 3 other kiddos so I load up a 2, 3, 4, & 5 y/o and total the trip takes about 25 minutes.
Where we live it is starting to get cold and will snow soon. I dread the thought of having to bundle up the kiddos to take her to school. The bus goes by our house so it is an option for her to ride it. She WANTS to ride it!
I talked to her teacher about it and also the guy in charge of busing the kids. She wouldn't have to change buses. But the thing is is she would get picked up an hr before school starts and won't get home until an hr after school (about 45 minutes later than if I were to pick her up). I don't think she would ride all the time, but frequently.
We are going to try it tomorrow. It makes me so nervous w/ her being so young! And makes me feel lazy for my excuses for her TO ride.

dragonflylovr19

Asked by dragonflylovr19 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was nervous too with my first. i took her everyday for prek. then she finally rode the next year. my second wanted to ride her first year. it broke my heart but she wanted to be a big girl and ride the bus like her big sister always did. so i loaded her up too. u'll get used to puttin her on the bus.
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Riding the bus is still my Kindergartenders favorite part of the day. She loves it, we have a great bus driver that my daughter has picked flowers for twice now =). Its hard to let go, but she will be fine! GL.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:53 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Maybe make sure she has a book or two to read, or a coloring book to keep her busy during the ride in case.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:53 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I'm a SAHM and my kids ride the bus and I don't feel guilty or lazy.  That's what the buses are for--to get kids to school.

My kids are in 2nd, 3rd and 5th grades.  They leave for the bus at 8am (by choice), the bus picks them up at 8:24am.  School starts at 9am (they eat breakfast at school).  School gets out at 3:30pm and they get home around 4pm.  When my 4yo starts kindergarten next year she'll ride the bus, too.  She can't wait.  I never did anything to prepare any of them (my oldest also rode the bus in kindergarten and 1st grade).  I just told them to behave and listen to the driver and if they got kicked off the bus they'd have to walk the 2 miles to school because I don't have a car.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• There's nothing to be nervous about with your child on the school bus. It's actually fun for them. It was a big, exciting thing for both of my kids. And in our district the kindergarteners all ride in the front rows. They don't mix the ages in the seats so the Kdg don't ride with the 5th graders.

The length of time on a bus is pretty long. That happens a lot when districts either cluster the schools into a central location or people live really far out of town because those stops have to be on the route, too. It's kinda unavoidable.

DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 2:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I am sure she will be fine. I know how it is worry though, that is what Momma's do! ;')
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:28 PM on Oct. 31, 2010