why isn't Christianity considered a cult too?

It seems to me that anything other than Christianity is considered a cult. Why is that? I mean aren't we all just following blindly & searching for the truth & putting our faith in SOMETHING? Why is Christianity the only "acceptable" religious belief & everything is considered weird or wrong or a cult?

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think islam, hinduism, or buddhism are cults. I think any organization that enslaves people, willing or not, is more of a cult.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Cults typically are non-mainstream religions w/ a single charismatic leader who controls lives of the followers.

Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism and other larger religions are widespread and therefore considered "mainstream" religions. None have a single, charismatic leader, although some subsects may. The subsects, if they become extreme enough, and their leader gains enough power, can be considered cults.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• i think it depends on which side of the Bible you stand. there are many non-believers (of the Biblical God) that do consider xtianity a cult.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:57 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• The word cult pejoratively refers to a group whose beliefs or practices are considered strange.[1] The word originally denoted a system of ritual practices. The narrower, derogatory sense of the word is a product of the 20th century, especially since the 1980s, and is considered subjective. It is also a result of the anti-cult movement which uses the word in reference to groups seen as authoritarian, exploitative and possibly dangerous. The word implies a group which is a minority in society.

GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Islam, Judaism, Christianity are not cults. For example, I have been a Christian for almost 10 years, and am yet living in society, have been able to be friends with those inside and outside of my religion, and do not practice anything extreme.

Cult: a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• There are Christian Cults too. What about that one cult that killed themselves to be with Jesus? lol I don't know the name.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I don't consider many other religions as cults. There are cults within many religions, but the mainstream religions I don't believe are cults themselves.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 12:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It is considered a cult by some people....and there is no rigid definition of the word, cult....language is very fluid and it evolves....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• GinNTonic, the Waco cult may have begun claiming Christ but ended up practicing many many things (mass suicide being the last) that were unchrist-like, and cultish.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Just imagine the disappointment for those people who killed themselves (except for the innocent children of course) when they find out that committing suicide is the high way to hell. Woops!
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2010