Brainwashed?

I have this friend he has always been a really nice guy and treated everyone with respect and always tried to do things what seemed to be the right way. Then he started going to church and reading the bible and everything like that and he isn't the same person at all. I can't even hang out with him any more he just seems like he got brainwashed.
I have always tried to be respectful to all religions and don't talk bad or think bad about people who believe differently than me it's just that this has changed him so much and it dosen't feel to me like it's a good thing. I guess my ? is how can people just let this completely them over? Can you go to church and still think for your self?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you can go to church and still think for yourself. There are people that can take anything to an unhealthy level...
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 2:26 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I agree with ray. I go to church but still think for myself.

It isn't the religion that is doing it to your friend, it is your friend doing it to himself.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 2:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• That happened to my bio mother. She got me back when I was 15 and she started going to church. Soon after she threw away all of my CD's (devil music) and all of my movies. I was not allowed to talk to boys or men and I was required to wear a dress to church. I finally sat her down and told her she can still be herself and be a Godly woman without doing the extreme. I think some churches take advantage of newcomers.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 3:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Its called becoming a new person in Christ, and putting away the old self. If you're still running around drinking, swearing, watching porn etc.(just examples) you really haven't put off the old self. God wants us to be good testamonies to non christians, not that we're perfect by far but you will find that most Christians try to set themselves apart from the crowd. Its not a personal thing your friend is just trying to live according to what the Bible says and he may not want to keep partaking in the same things he used to but that doesn't make him brainwashed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• You didn't say HOW he was so different. Did he just stop drinking or swearing? Or is he walking around like a zombie? I mean what's he doing that is so outrageous?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:04 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Yeah, what's going on with him that makes you feel like he's been brainwashed?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I was brainwashed after going to church...All my sins where forgiven when I repented and my mind was transformed :)

Thank God he washed my brain. I did a complete 180 and was on fire for the Lord. Not everyone does that...complete 180. Some people it takes time.

Make sure its a solid church not an occult. Mormons, JW, etc.
    What church is ?
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 11:55 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I've seen this happen in ALL religions to some people. Sometimes it's a good thing. Other times people go overboard.

I'm Mormon, (and not a cult member as mentioned above) LOL! I am an active member of my church. I believe in it's teachings with all my heart, but I DO NOT let it totally rule my life. My hubby is a new convert to the Mormon Church. He's still the same guy he's always been. The main difference in him is that he's trying to stop swearing so much. If anyone can go to church and still think for themselves it's my hubby!

Like I said, I think that this can happen in all religions. Some people feel they have to make a complete change and DO become different people. Some relgions or some relgious groups make people feel like they have to completley become a new person. To a point that's fine. If my hubby had made a change like the one you're describing, I wouldn't like it either.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• There are two types of religions:
    1. those who educate you and ask you to think for self.
    2. those who force their belief on you. { Christians}

I got in trouble when I was still going to church as a kid for talking back. What really happened was i asked questions that they could not answer and so they got pissed.

Move on your friend is gone. You can try to educate him or support him. But I don't bother arranging with hard core believers.
    Pexagon53

Answer by Pexagon53 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Excuse me Pexagon? Christians are the only people that try to force their beliefs on others? Did I read that right? I have NEVER tried to force my opinion on someone else. I applaud those that do their own research and think for themselves. How stereotypical. Not all Crhistians are like that. Perhaps you should educate yourself.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2008